Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No real DV from CA

tag
karamelkutie
Established Member

Re: No real DV from CA

Fico Forums - Continental Finance

Visit the link above for some info on how to file claims against them through the FDIC. I'm in the process of doing this right now and when I stumbled across this info it was very helpful. Since your card was opened in 2007...I believe you may meet the requrements to beat this thing. Hope it helps!

Starting Score: 579 (FEB 2013)
Current Score: 618 (April 2013)
Goal Score: 660

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 17
buckeyelady84
Contributor

9 months later CKS has added a collection to my Experian account. Has anyone ever dealt with them? I filed a complaint with FTC.

Starting 8/12 EQ- 522, TU 542. Current 5/14 EQ-664 TU-686 EX-unk
Goal to keep building up my credit.
Message 12 of 17
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@buckeyelady84 wrote:

9 months later CKS has added a collection to my Experian account. Has anyone ever dealt with them? I filed a complaint with FTC.

I had read your posts and it clearly looks like CKS does not have collection authority to collect on the unpaid debt as the OC had told you another CA is the one collecting. For them to report is a big no no. Good job in filing with the FTC!!!!

DaBears

Message 13 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

@buckeyelady84 wrote:

I had read your posts and it clearly looks like CKS does not have collection authority to collect on the unpaid debt as the OC had told you another CA is the one collecting. For them to report is a big no no. Good job in filing with the FTC!!!!

DaBears

Early on in the thead, OP says the first CA sold the debt to CKS.  They do have collection authority.

They violated the FDCPA by not validating the debt prior to insertion on OP CR.

Message 14 of 17
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@guiness56 wrote:

@DaBears wrote:

@buckeyelady84 wrote:

DaBears

Early on in the thead, OP says the first CA sold the debt to CKS.  They do have collection authority.

They violated the FDCPA by not validating the debt prior to insertion on OP CR.

I'm reading the same thing here.  The violation stems from them reporting without responding to the timely DV.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 15 of 17
buckeyelady84
Contributor

CKS got another DV letter on July 2nd. I filed my FTC complaint on June 28th. The collection is only on Experian and the comment says in dispute by consumer. I hope this collection goes away fast.
Starting 8/12 EQ- 522, TU 542. Current 5/14 EQ-664 TU-686 EX-unk
Goal to keep building up my credit.
Message 16 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Their letter is essentailly meaningless.  It just says they have not yet done something for which they are under no period to have completed.  It's a favor, not a violation.

One does not file a complaint or dispute over lack of debt verification from a debt collector.  The DV process does not compel the debt collector to provide verification at any specific time, and in fact, they could choose never to respond.  The DV process was enacted to provide the consumer relief from ongoing collection activities by a debt collector until the debt collector has provided verification.  If the DV is tinely, the requirement imposed on the debt collector is to cease active collection.

Violation of the statute occurs only if and when the debt collector continues collection on the debt without having first provided the requested verification.

That is the time to file a complaint for violation of FDCPA 809(b)/

You are missing the point entirely.  It IS the CAs job to validate, if they choose to do so.  It is NOT their job to tell you to get validation from the OC.

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.