Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No response from Collection Agencies--Need Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

No response from Collection Agencies--Need Advice

Hello All,

I've been working on getting 4 collection accounts off my credit report since Feb. I've DV'd all of them which they've so called verified. 3 are cell phone bills which they sent me copies of the cell phone bill as their verification. 1 is an alleged rental payment which I am currently now fighting thru my attorney general's office. So I've been trying to get them to do a PFD. I'm getting absolutely no where with them. I'm trying to purchase a home this year but the LO said that they wouldn't even consider my application until the 4 collections are deleted off my credit report. Also my mid score is 640 and yes its a fico score. So I'm also considering hiring a Consumer Law Attorney. Have anyone tried using a Consumer Law attorney to get the collection agency to agree with a PFD? All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: No response from Collection Agencies--Need Advice

Sounds odd that the loan officer said they needed to be deleted.  Usually LOs say it has to be paid.  So maybe open your loan search to some other sources to see if they agree with your LO?

CAs don't have to respond to a PFD or accept them.  No way for an attorney to force a CA to take your payment and delete the accounts. 

Are you offering the full amount?  Or some reduced percentage?  You could increase the amount you're offering to the total (if you're not already offering PIF).  Have you taken out all the legalese?  And personalized the letter as much as you can?  Sending it with a stamp instead of CMRRR?

You will probably have to make a decision if you want to keep offering PFD, or if eventually, you should just pay it.  If you pay it, then you can pursue GW.

ETA:  are they reporting everything correctly?  If you can find a violation, you might have found your leverage.

Message Edited by jesslyn on 06-25-2009 08:54 AM
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thx Jesslyn for ur lovely advice. I forgot to mention the reason why I needed those collections deleted is because I've had a Ch. 13 BK discharged in 6/08. Although these collections happened during that time, they were not included in my BK payment plan. These collections were added after my discharged and from my understanding this looks real bad to any mortgage company or LO. This is why I need to get these removed before I can move forward with applying for a loan. This was the main reason why the underwriters denied my loan last year. So I need to get these removed asap! My only concern with paying the collection accounts without a PFD is that my score will be lower due to them updating it as paid, and there isn't any guarantee that the CA's will accept my GW letters. I think my first mistake was that I did send them certified so I've just recently sent new letters this week through the regular mail. Any additional input would be greatly appreciated Smiley Happy.
Message Edited by 700ClubWannabe on 06-25-2009 11:01 AM
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are any of the OCs still reporting a ballance?  If so, you can try contacting them and see if they will pull the account back from the CA and let you pay them directly.  That would make those collections go away.
Message 4 of 6
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Who are the CA's?

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, the OC's are not reporting on my CR. It's only showing up under the collection section. The 4 collection agencies are Pinnacle Financial Group, Cavalry Portfolio Services, Collection Company of America & Allied Collection Service. I also just got a dunning letter from AFNI, Inc. which I DV'd this week. This hasn't been added to my CR as of yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if it magically appears. 3 collections are cell phone bills with outlandish fees, 1 is a rental apartment, & the lastest is a telephone company. So there you have it. I've been irresponsible in the past and now I'm paying dearly for my negligance Smiley Sad. I couldn't pay these cause my husband had lost his job ( it was off & on for several years) and my necessity bills were more important at that time then cell phone bills. Well you live and learn. We are in a better financial state now but now I'm paying for it Smiley Sad.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.