cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No response to DV just received another collection letter, where do I go from here?

tag
hopingsoon
Regular Contributor

No response to DV just received another collection letter, where do I go from here?

I send DV April 6th and have RR dated April 8th. Today, May 28th, I received another collection letter. The letter makes no mention of the debt having been verified and when I called to ask about the DV they say they have no record of receiving a DV. 

What do I do??

Starting Score: FAKOs EQ 537 TU 497 EX 517
Current Score 7/11/13: FICOs EQ 650 TU 659 EX 655
Goal Score: 675 Who am I kidding? Goal Score: 750+ Smiley Happy

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: No response to DV just received another collection letter, where do I go from here?

Message 2 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: No response to DV just received another collection letter, where do I go from here?

Was the first DV timely?  Did you send it within 30 days of first contac, IE dunning letter?  If so then they are time barred from collection activity until they do verify.  You have the green card, I'd take a copy of that and  send it with a 2nd DV instructing them of this.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you have return receipt, I would suggest filing a formal complaint with the FTC for clear violation of FDCPA 809(b), and forward a cc: to the debt collector.

That will force them to respond to an FTC inquiry.

Message 4 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

If you have return receipt, I would suggest filing a formal complaint with the FTC for clear violation of FDCPA 809(b), and forward a cc: to the debt collector.

That will force them to respond to an FTC inquiry.

But only if the first DV was timely.

July 2013 score:

Message 5 of 8
hopingsoon
Regular Contributor

Sorry I was confusing my dates from another DV around the same time. The first collection letter is dated March 7th.  My DV was dated April 3. RR dated April 8th.

I received a second letter dated April 7th but ignored it because I knew DV was already on the way. At the same time I sent the DV, I contacted the OC which was a Dr office. They never submitted the bill to my insurance. I gave them the information and told me they would submit. 

I received a third letter from the CA today. When I called them and explained the whole situation they wanted my insurance information so they could submit it and told me that they have no record of my DV. 

I just got off the phone with the OC. They did submit to my insurance and they have been paid. They told me they will call the CA to have the account removed from collections as it has been settled. 

I'm just annoyed now because what is the point of DV??

Message 6 of 8
hopingsoon
Regular Contributor

Based on the dates I have provided...was the DV timely?

Message 7 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, the DV was timely.  And the point of the DV is a very strong one.  It's just that the CA actually violated the time bar of collection activity without verification.  As RobertEG has noted, this is a serious offence.  

July 2013 score:

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.