Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No response to DV letters, need a little guidance

tag
marathonmama24
Regular Contributor

No response to DV letters, need a little guidance

At the start of the year, I pulled credit reports for myself and my husband, and sent out DV letters to the things we didn't recognize. It's been nearly a month, and I've had no response. I understand that they don't have to respond within 30 days, I just wonder what the next step should be. A follow up DV letter? Contact OC directly? Letter to CRA? I honestly don't know if they belong to us, or if they are truly unpaid. Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
marathonmama24
Regular Contributor

Re: No response to DV letters, need a little guidance

Anyone?

Message 2 of 5
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@marathonmama24 wrote:

At the start of the year, I pulled credit reports for myself and my husband, and sent out DV letters to the things we didn't recognize. It's been nearly a month, and I've had no response. I understand that they don't have to respond within 30 days, I just wonder what the next step should be. A follow up DV letter? Contact OC directly? Letter to CRA? I honestly don't know if they belong to us, or if they are truly unpaid. Thanks for any help.

A few questions:  Do you have a specific goal in mind or are you cleaning up your reports? Did you send letters to collection agencies or original creditors? Are they within SOL for your state? Have you peeked at your report to see if they are still there or if they have updated in any way? 

My 2 cents, I would contact the OC and see if I could figure out what the accounts were and if they belonged to me or not. If they don't belong to you GREAT, go ahead and do a direct dispute with the OC or a dispute through the CRA...either way you don't have to worry about the ones that really aren't yours. Then move on to the ones that are yours and find out if you can pay for delete with the OC or if you have to try to pay for delete with the CA. Either way, the next step is usually paying...

Best of luck, there is a wealth of information here and lots of people willing to help. We are all in this together. 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 5
marathonmama24
Regular Contributor

@newmomnewme wrote:

@marathonmama24 wrote:

A few questions:  Do you have a specific goal in mind or are you cleaning up your reports? Did you send letters to collection agencies or original creditors? Are they within SOL for your state? Have you peeked at your report to see if they are still there or if they have updated in any way?  Trying to clean up reports so we can buy a house. Letters were sent to CA, and yes, it's within SOL. Reports are still there. 

My 2 cents, I would contact the OC and see if I could figure out what the accounts were and if they belonged to me or not. If they don't belong to you GREAT, go ahead and do a direct dispute with the OC or a dispute through the CRA...either way you don't have to worry about the ones that really aren't yours. Then move on to the ones that are yours and find out if you can pay for delete with the OC or if you have to try to pay for delete with the CA. Either way, the next step is usually paying...

Best of luck, there is a wealth of information here and lots of people willing to help. We are all in this together. 

That's great advice! I will contact the OC directly and see if I can PFD with them. Thank  you!!

Message 4 of 5
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

You might want to send DV letter to the OC before sending a PFD letter...you want to make sure that the debts REALLY are yours. I started rebuilding with hopes of purchasing a home in the next year or so, so it can be done!!!  I worked on each baddie based on a priority system...most people will tell you to work on the most recent first, then work your way back to the older ones. But keep in mind a 30-day late will have less impact than a charge off (depending on the age). But, since your goal is to purchase a home, it would be to your benefit to try to take care of major baddies first (any public records, charge-offs,repos, 90+ lates). 

Then balance the score impact, cost to PFD etc. Remember when offering a PFD you don't always have to pay in full....it depends on the OC or CA that you are working with. This is an awesome thread and you will get some great advice and support. Best wishes. 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.