cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob questions.

tag
Greydawn

Noob questions.

Okay, now that I've lurked a couple days an have a few acronyms down, ill get to it.. long story short, the S hit the fan for us in 2009. Hubs lost his job after not being paid (by the apartment we lived in) for two months, my car got repod. We had three days to move out. Everything went bad.

We are currently living off of about 1500 of my 2800 take home pay per month, so I want to start knocking all those old gross debts back.

I have all our free reports from last June ish in a binder. I signed up for the score watch, but that looks incomplete and is coded so its not a ton of help anyway.

Between the two of us, our credit reports have something like 19 collections accounts (some dupes, sold?) I have two judgements (one car repo, never paid in full, the other got their $ from a wage garnishment) he has one (that stupid apartment. But they never gave him a summons or anything. So I don't see how that got entered, and we WOULD have gone to court to fight that because the only reason they didn't get their rent was because they didn't pay him.)

Where do I start?

Do I send DVs to everyone all at once? Will that wake the sleeping giants?

After sending DVs, we PFF the ones that have validated, I got that part, but what of the 30 day thing I keep seeing mentioned? If they don't respond in 30 days what do I do? Report them to BBB?

I'm sure ill have more questions pop up, but I'm hung up on the first step right now.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Re: Noob questions.

Well you don't wanna do anything with any of the collections that are still within SOL.

Message 2 of 5
Greydawn

Oh really?

Well how do I determine what is what then? Because I looked it up and WA state says three years for some types and six years for other types. And ten years for judgements.

Like which category do cable bills fall under. Promissory notes?
Message 3 of 5
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

You'll want to have the money in full already set aside if you want to settle those within SOL.

I'd probably start with new cr's. in case there have been any changes.
2/16/13 Scores EX: 594, TU:513, EQ:563 -- Cap One Secured: $200, Kay's: $400

GOAL #1: 625 -- CHECK!

3/31/15 Scores TU: 621 -- Cap One Secured: $750, Kay's: $900, CareCredit: $1000, Aerie $350, Fingerhut $1350

Goal #2: A travel card. REC ME!
Message 4 of 5
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

Since I'm strapped for cash, I'm doing one at time. Save the money, send DV or PFD if I'm sure that it's mine, move on to the next one.
2/16/13 Scores EX: 594, TU:513, EQ:563 -- Cap One Secured: $200, Kay's: $400

GOAL #1: 625 -- CHECK!

3/31/15 Scores TU: 621 -- Cap One Secured: $750, Kay's: $900, CareCredit: $1000, Aerie $350, Fingerhut $1350

Goal #2: A travel card. REC ME!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.