Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Sure What to Do

tag
nikkiheaven
Contributor

Not Sure What to Do

First off, Southwest Collection Agency all of a suddent put an entry on my credit reports, without as so much of a letter or anything.  When I call, the only record they have is a paid in full bill from AT&T back in 04.  They are reporting that I owe 340.00 to Comcast.  I disputed the debt and it came back verified.  I called back, and said I would do a pay for delete, which they agreed to.  One thing though..... they don't have a record of me owing anything!  So I've asked them twice now to send me a letter saying that my account was paid in full, figuring that I could use that to have it removed with the credit agencies.  To date, they still have not sent me a letter.  What do I do?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Re: Not Sure What to Do

Ask to speak with a supervisor. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 2 of 8
nikkiheaven
Contributor

I have asked to speak with a supervisor, but I will try again.

Message 3 of 8
gibeon
Established Contributor

This may be a stupid question, but are you calling the right collection company? Using the phone number on the account on your credit report?

I've noticed that there are often several CAs with very similar names and only then last part is different - company/Associates/partners/etc...
23 Open Bank Cards / 7 Open Store Cards / TOO many inquires / Mid/High 600's
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nikkiheaven wrote:

First off, Southwest Collection Agency all of a suddent put an entry on my credit reports, without as so much of a letter or anything.  When I call, the only record they have is a paid in full bill from AT&T back in 04.  They are reporting that I owe 340.00 to Comcast.  I disputed the debt and it came back verified.  I called back, and said I would do a pay for delete, which they agreed to.  One thing though..... they don't have a record of me owing anything!  So I've asked them twice now to send me a letter saying that my account was paid in full, figuring that I could use that to have it removed with the credit agencies.  To date, they still have not sent me a letter.  What do I do?

When you say "they don't have a record of me owing anything" are you referirng to Southwest or Comcast?  If you are referring to Southwest then you could send them a debt validation letter asking for some documentation vefifying the debt is yours.  If they don't send you anything then you can file both CFPB and FTC complaints to get it removed.  If you are referring to Comcast they could have sold the debt and may no longer show you owing them any money.  If it is Comcast then you would still send the debt validation letter to Southwest.  Not sure if I can offer any more without knowing who you are referring to with the offer of PFD, who verified and who said they have no records of you owing the $340.00.

Message 5 of 8
nikkiheaven
Contributor

Its Southwest and I already requested the debt validation.  I thought of the same thing, so yes I called the no. on the credit report.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then file the complaints be sure to mention all your efforts to get verification including dates of your requests, dates they received them (hopefully you sent them certified mail) their responses or lack thereof.  You should also file a CFPB complaint against the credit bureaus if you originally disputed through them and they verified.  I have a copy of a compaint letter I used which was successful if you would like a copy to give you an idea of what to include PM me and I will send it to you.

Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

While the DV and/or complaints to the CFPB are certainly justified, they are processes that will likely have long periods of limbo.

I woulld suggest filing a direct dispute now that you have new info in the form of their statement that they have no record of a debt.

That seems to contradict their earlier statement that they conducted an invesitgation of your prior dispute and has basis for verification of accuracy.

A direct dispute has a 30-day time limit, and is legit.  I would use it prior to involving the CFPB.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.