Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not my CC Acct on CR - Helping my CS?!

tag
Smarter2day
Established Member

Not my CC Acct on CR - Helping my CS?!

I've been thinking I should try to reopen an old CC lately. So I looked at my CR and my first attempt was for a Citi card with a 3K limit closed in 08. When I called, they could not find anything under my SSN, or past addresses. She did say she saw an account under my name but not in my state. I'm feeling kind of confident this account never belonged to me, since I didn't remember having it in the first place. I know I should probably dispute it - seems wrong not to. 

I really am unsure what the impact might be to have it removed. Account has no lates, nearly the highest limit on my CR, but it was only open for 32 months and my AAoA is 75 months. I honestly feel terrible for considering using this to my advantage. Well, I'm not actually sure there even is an advantage.

Has anyone heard of this happening before?  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Not my CC Acct on CR - Helping my CS?!

@Smarter2day wrote:

I've been thinking I should try to reopen an old CC lately. So I looked at my CR and my first attempt was for a Citi card with a 3K limit closed in 08. When I called, they could not find anything under my SSN, or past addresses. She did say she saw an account under my name but not in my state. I'm feeling kind of confident this account never belonged to me, since I didn't remember having it in the first place. I know I should probably dispute it - seems wrong not to. 

I really am unsure what the impact might be to have it removed. Account has no lates, nearly the highest limit on my CR, but it was only open for 32 months and my AAoA is 75 months. I honestly feel terrible for considering using this to my advantage. Well, I'm not actually sure there even is an advantage.

Has anyone heard of this happening before?  

It would be foolish to challenge the account as it is an older one and you want it around for AAoA. You are not going to find anyone to reopen a closed account, just doesnt happen anymore, you will need to re app for cards.

Message 2 of 6
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

I think it's foolish NOT to dispute it. I wouldn't want any account not mine on my CR, helping or not it's just not a good idea. 

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If you have an account that is not yours showing in your credit report, I would notify the creditor.  There is apparently a problem on their end if they are reporitng under your name. 

I would not start by filing a formal dispute, I would notify the creditor that it is not yours.  A dispute will mess up your current scoring until resolved, and may be avoidable.

Aside from any moral obligation to correct, you never know what could happend with that account.  It could go south at any time.

You are rolling the dice by having an account over which you have no control appearing in your credit file.

Message 4 of 6
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Don't see how it could go south if it is already long closed (2008).

Perhaps it may be a moral issue but I can not see how this account can adversely effect OP.

I would NOT Try to reopen any accounts that did not belong to me!

That being said I'm not sure I would mess with it.. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck OP in which ever route you decide!
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 5 of 6
Smarter2day
Established Member

Yeah, those are good points. I wonder though....since it's age is about half my current AAoA, shouldn't it help in that sense if it were removed?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.