Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not my Debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not my Debt

A collection agency has put a collection on credit report that the original creditor has verified not to be mine and the CO keeps verifying it to the CRA what can i do at this point?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Not my Debt

You can dispute any invalid information on your credit report by simply going to each credo bureau's website and beginning a dispute. The collection agency would then have 30days to respond to the dispute with information validating the debt being yours.
I would make sure you notate in the comment section that the OC has already validated the debt does not belong to you.

Remember. We do not ever suggest to dispute valid collection information, as it may have a negative effect on attempting pay for delete options in your future!
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

A collection agency has put a collection on credit report that the original creditor has verified not to be mine and the CO keeps verifying it to the CRA what can i do at this point?

you can ask the original creditor to recall the account and remove the negative reporting

Message 3 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

If its not yours quit fooling around with anyone here and use the ID Theft statues provided to you in the FCRA and get it excluded

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Victim-of-Identity-Theft-What-To-Do-to-Protect-Yourself/td-p/2059499

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's my son's he has my name but the information they have DOB, SS# is not mine but the collection agency has tied it to another collection they have that I am disputing.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in the same boat as you. 

I had the same problem, disputed with Equifax they verified and deleted three of these, but one collection that was on EQ but not EX or TU then shortly showed up there aftrer EQ deleted.

I had to call directly to TU and EX and explain what is going on, but so far I have not gotten either one to follow EQ and remove it, been weeks.

Is this showing all all three main CRA's?

Message 6 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
It's my son's he has my name but the information they have DOB, SS# is not mine but the collection agency has tied it to another collection they have that I am disputing.

In this case then just file a CFPB complaint on the offender with demand for deletion or 1K in your pocket for violating the FCRA (knowingly reporting false info to your credit report).

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

No just Equifax
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I contacted EQ and gave them the OC contact info and they did nothing but wait for the collection agency to verify it again and that was it, I was told buy a superior at EQ that they could not contact the original creditor even they rely on the CA to verify.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also sent a debt verification letter to procollect via certified mail and they never responded.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.