Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure what to do here...

tag
antso91
Regular Contributor

Not sure what to do here...

Hello Everyone!

I recently had my girlfriend open up a Chase Slate card in order to get the 15 month 0 interest balance transfer offer and we transferred a few of our cards over to that. We took 1500 avail credit from her Chase Freedom card and moved it to the slate card, dropping the freedom to 500 (I am an AU on this as well) The limit is 6300 and the balance is now 4700. I made myself an AU on the account and so far only EX has picked it up (I think it will be the only one that does) Anyway now Im wondering if I should dispute it and have it removed from my report. All of my other cards/AU cards are either at a 0 balance or have 0-10% utilization on them. Once EX picked this new card up my score went up 4 points however I am apping for a car lease at the end of february and I am afraid if they see this card with such high util on there, they will deny me.

Should I leave it alone or should I get it removed before trying for the lease?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Not sure what to do here...

She, as the account holder, is legally responsible for all debt on the account.

Does she permit you to accrue debt on her credit?

If so, and you wish to continue that sweetheart deal, I would not get removed as an AU.

Otherwise, high % util is usually not worth keeping the account of another on your report unless it has some other very significant advantage.

Being a new account with low age, it most likely os not helping your avg age of accunts, and may be an overall negative.

The secondary impact of an AU is that it makes your score not representative of only your own credit risk, and thus may make your score of less value to a credtior in evaluatiing a request for credit.  They cannot back the history of another out of your scoriing and produce a score that represents only your own history.

Higher amounts of new credit being sought will usually lead to a higher chance that the creditor will do a manual review of your CR, which could lead to their knowledge that your score is not your own.

Message 2 of 4
IamB2
Established Contributor

@antso91 wrote:

Hello Everyone!

I recently had my girlfriend open up a Chase Slate card in order to get the 15 month 0 interest balance transfer offer and we transferred a few of our cards over to that. We took 1500 avail credit from her Chase Freedom card and moved it to the slate card, dropping the freedom to 500 (I am an AU on this as well) The limit is 6300 and the balance is now 4700. I made myself an AU on the account and so far only EX has picked it up (I think it will be the only one that does) Anyway now Im wondering if I should dispute it and have it removed from my report. All of my other cards/AU cards are either at a 0 balance or have 0-10% utilization on them. Once EX picked this new card up my score went up 4 points however I am apping for a car lease at the end of february and I am afraid if they see this card with such high util on there, they will deny me.

Should I leave it alone or should I get it removed before trying for the lease?

If you wanted to remove yourself from being an authorized user, you don't need to dispute it. Simply have your gf call Chase and request that they remove you as an authorized user. 

However, a while back I started a thread which talks about if the authorized user balances, and how they count on the overal utilization. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/AU-balances-not-counting-towards-your-FIC...

Please read post 5 and 8. Pretty conflicting reports, if youa sk me, so I am not so sure if it is counted or not. Best to test it out and see which works for you. Smiley Happy

FICO® EQ 717 (3/5/15); TU08 732 (3/5/15); EX: 723 (3/5/15) - Last app 3/15/15; Inquiries: A TON!

CITI ThankYou Preferred - CL: $2,000

Starting Scores: 590s on 12/2013. Hover over card image to view details! *After Amex approvals - [I was supposed to be] Gardening!*
Message 3 of 4
antso91
Regular Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

She, as the account holder, is legally responsible for all debt on the account.

Does she permit you to accrue debt on her credit?

If so, and you wish to continue that sweetheart deal, I would not get removed as an AU.

Otherwise, high % util is usually not worth keeping the account of another on your report unless it has some other very significant advantage.

Being a new account with low age, it most likely os not helping your avg age of accunts, and may be an overall negative.

The secondary impact of an AU is that it makes your score not representative of only your own credit risk, and thus may make your score of less value to a credtior in evaluatiing a request for credit.  They cannot back the history of another out of your scoriing and produce a score that represents only your own history.

Higher amounts of new credit being sought will usually lead to a higher chance that the creditor will do a manual review of your CR, which could lead to their knowledge that your score is not your own.

We share the cards, the debt she BT'd was her own, I only suggested the Slate card for 0% intro for 15 months. However I dont understand your post. You say "High % util is not worth keeping the account of another on your report." So..does that mean remove the AU or not? Im sorry, I just dont understand what you mean. Are you saying that having AU accounts can actually hurt you rather than help?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.