Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure what to do with this

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure what to do with this

Hello,

I have been working on cleaning up my credit for the past year. I just pulled a new copy of my credit report this week and discovered that a new collection agency is reporting that I owe someone over 20k. This is a landlord situation from 2005 that is just now reporting. To make a long story short, I was never evicted. Back in 2005, I met with the landlord and explained to her that I could no longer afford to live in the home. That was fine with her and I packed up and left. She had the place rented within a couple weeks. It is clear to me that she is trying to get me for the entire term of the lease before the sol runs out in 11 months. I am in Florida. 

This item just appeared on my credit within the past month or two. I never received a dunning letter from anyone.

My question is: should I dispute this with the ca and risk them trying to sue me or should I ly low for 11 months and just not say anything and then dispute it after the sol has run out. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
QueenBean
Regular Contributor

Re: Not sure what to do with this

She can't claim you owe rent on a property that she rented to someone else.  At best she could charge you for the time that the property went unrented and your security deposit......this smells like a shake-down to me.

1) Is there any chance that you still have a copy of the lease?  Regardless, I would DV and tell the CA that you want to see a signed copy of the lease.

2) I would try to find out as much information about when she re-rented the property & to whom (the local utility company may be helpful in providing you the date the account went out of your name into the landlords and then into the new tenants....You may also simply be able to call the new tenant and ask them.

The key thing is to get a copy of that lease and see exactly what provisions are in there for a default or a sublease.

Good Luck & Best Wishes!

Starting Score: 527
Current Score: 679
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Thanks for the reply!

I agree this is a shake down. I know this woman has a reputation of suing people. I just have to prove it but still a little concerned about the statute of limitations not having run out. I am afraid if I contact the ca they will sue me or redate the collection account. My plan is to dispute the item once the sol has run out. In the meantime, placing a comment on my credit report under this item. How does that sound? 

Message 3 of 5
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

QueenBean took the words out of my mouth-The key thing is to get a copy of that lease and see exactly what provisions are in there for a default.

I would take a copy of the lease,if i had one and see a lawyer who specialzes in landlords/tenents leases.

Ask a lawyer, what your opitions are, since this person has a reputation of suing people.Good luck to you.

You may want to google "legal forums" and see if they can help you. Some have lawyers, hang around on those web sites.

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for the assistance but I am still concerned about the sol not having expired. Should I just wait until the sol expires?

Also, can I have the credit bureau notate this collection without the CA knowing? thanks. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.