Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure where to begin with collections and other derogs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure where to begin with collections and other derogs

As with most people, 2012 was a mess for me.  My near 800 credit score was killed with some major problems.... I'm trying to fix things.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  All debts are from 2012 unless otherwise stated.

Already Paid Accounts (paid in fall of 2013)-

Credit Union Overdraft Line of Credit ($500)

This is listed as a charge off.  Essentially, I had an overdraft line of credit with my credit union.  The cu merged with another (huge) credit union, and my accounts became all messed up.  The line of credit was "off line" which ment I could not see it on line nor could they see it in the branch.  I made my monthly payments (as per my agreement) when all the sudden I got a letter that they charged off the $500 I owed.  I went in and tried to explain the situation without any success. I paid the charge off, because thats what I thought I was suppose to do.  Well, now I find that they are listing the account twice.  Once as the charge off, and once as a current/never late account.  I'm so frustrated.  Is there anything I can do?  It was there error.  (This was 2012)

Medical Collection ($64)

I paid this to the hospital directly (in full.)  It was already in collections. I just read up on the HIPPA.  I'm wondering if I can still do it even thought its been paid?  The collection says unpaid, because I paid the hospital direct.

Electric Collection ($200)

Same as the hospital.  I paid (in full) direct to the Electric company.  The collection lists as unpaid.

Gap Visa Credit Card ($5000)

This is perhaps the most frustrating.  I hired an attorney to deal with this (almost went to a judgement.)  I asked the attorney to negotiate a pay for delete (I had no money to pay - still dont - a family member paid for me).  I ended up with a collection still listed with "settled for less".  Is there anything I can do?  It's Portfolio Recovery.  Is there any way to get the lates off the original card?

Outstanding Debts-

Pottery Barn/Comenity Bank ($1000)

This is currently outstanding.  It's with Portfolio Recovery.  A family member is willing to pay this.  How do I go about getting the best possible outcome?  Do I contact Comenity Bank?  They were not the original bank.  Can I ask them for a pay for delete?  Would they remove derog and retract the collection?

Sallie Mae ($10000)

Outstanding as well.  Its with USA Funds.  The same family member is willing to pay this off.  (I have great family.)  How do I go about this one?  In a letter they said if I paid monthly for 12 months, itd put everything current.  Does that mean deleting derog/collection?  Do I have to pay monthly or would they do the same with a payoff?

Not even mine!!!

Judgement

There is a Judgement on my Equifax.  It belongs to a family member with the same first initial/last name (different middle initial/different name).  Its listed as first initial, middle initial, last name.  I'm female, and the family member is male.  So, not sure how it ended up on my equifax!  How do I get that removed?

I appreciate everyones advice.  I just want to get back on track.  I currently have NO open credit cards, mortgages, etc.  So I know that as soon as I get this all cleared up- Im going to need to get something.  I stupidly closed everything when I was younger.  Luckily thought my first credit card (from 1998) is still listed even if its closed...)

-Jen

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Not sure where to begin with collections and other derogs

@Anonymous wrote:

As with most people, 2012 was a mess for me.  My near 800 credit score was killed with some major problems.... I'm trying to fix things.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  All debts are from 2012 unless otherwise stated.

Already Paid Accounts (paid in fall of 2013)-

Credit Union Overdraft Line of Credit ($500)

This is listed as a charge off.  Essentially, I had an overdraft line of credit with my credit union.  The cu merged with another (huge) credit union, and my accounts became all messed up.  The line of credit was "off line" which ment I could not see it on line nor could they see it in the branch.  I made my monthly payments (as per my agreement) when all the sudden I got a letter that they charged off the $500 I owed.  I went in and tried to explain the situation without any success. I paid the charge off, because thats what I thought I was suppose to do.  Well, now I find that they are listing the account twice.  Once as the charge off, and once as a current/never late account.  I'm so frustrated.  Is there anything I can do?  It was there error.  (This was 2012)

Medical Collection ($64)

I paid this to the hospital directly (in full.)  It was already in collections. I just read up on the HIPPA.  I'm wondering if I can still do it even thought its been paid?  The collection says unpaid, because I paid the hospital direct.

Electric Collection ($200)

Same as the hospital.  I paid (in full) direct to the Electric company.  The collection lists as unpaid.

Gap Visa Credit Card ($5000)

This is perhaps the most frustrating.  I hired an attorney to deal with this (almost went to a judgement.)  I asked the attorney to negotiate a pay for delete (I had no money to pay - still dont - a family member paid for me).  I ended up with a collection still listed with "settled for less".  Is there anything I can do?  It's Portfolio Recovery.  Is there any way to get the lates off the original card?

Outstanding Debts-

Pottery Barn/Comenity Bank ($1000)

This is currently outstanding.  It's with Portfolio Recovery.  A family member is willing to pay this.  How do I go about getting the best possible outcome?  Do I contact Comenity Bank?  They were not the original bank.  Can I ask them for a pay for delete?  Would they remove derog and retract the collection?

Sallie Mae ($10000)

Outstanding as well.  Its with USA Funds.  The same family member is willing to pay this off.  (I have great family.)  How do I go about this one?  In a letter they said if I paid monthly for 12 months, itd put everything current.  Does that mean deleting derog/collection?  Do I have to pay monthly or would they do the same with a payoff?

Not even mine!!!

Judgement

There is a Judgement on my Equifax.  It belongs to a family member with the same first initial/last name (different middle initial/different name).  Its listed as first initial, middle initial, last name.  I'm female, and the family member is male.  So, not sure how it ended up on my equifax!  How do I get that removed? Are you on good terms with this family member? If so see if they will photocopy their DL, showing their full name (with other data blacked out), send a copy of that along with a copy of your drivers licence to Equifax.

I appreciate everyones advice.  I just want to get back on track.  I currently have NO open credit cards, mortgages, etc.  So I know that as soon as I get this all cleared up- Im going to need to get something.  I stupidly closed everything when I was younger.  Luckily thought my first credit card (from 1998) is still listed even if its closed...) Don't wait, get started NOW by getting a couple of secured credit card accounts established.

-Jen

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Norman!

I will send their license with the dispute letter.  Great idea!

I am looking into a local credit union for a secured card... I wasnt sure if anyone would give me anything with the mess on my reports.

Do secured cards report differently?

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

SDFCU is pretty good and its a soft pull for their secured products. They will report just like an unsecured card. What matters is getting that payment history going.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might want to also contact the Court or creditor that is listed in the judgement to try to clear things up with them, and have them clear it up with the appropriate court's rulings. You don't want to take chances that the judgement will find its way back onto your report. If it were me I would try to find out how it was put on there to begin with.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes Im worried about that.

Its my exhusband (who also shared my address).

What a mess!

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone have any advice about dealing with the collections most effectively?

I want to do as much damage control as possible ....

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this judgement from a debt that was prior or post divorce?, and are you in a community property state?

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are still legally married.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are in a community property state you may be stuck with it no matter whose name is on it.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.