cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure where to go from here.. Kinda mid credit building, around 650~ scores...

tag
mccallb
Frequent Contributor

Not sure where to go from here.. Kinda mid credit building, around 650~ scores...

Hi all, I've read a lot of posts on here but am kind of not sure what to do now as I'm not used to how to play the credit game.

First off, I have scores in the 630-660 range across the three bureaus.  In may of last year, I had a score of around 650, and I needed to move cross country.  As a result, I had to get a car for my wife (lived in a downtown city before) finance a lot of the move, and have credit pulls for electrical, rent, blah blah.  Also, as a result of the move, I ended up with 2 collections for stuff that people had tried to reach me for on the west coast. (Both medical bills, one 30$ one for about 300$)  All said and done I had 2 collections and 10 inquiries.  All of my scores dropped to the 550 range for "too many new accounts/inquiries".  I've managed all of the debt I accumulated pretty well.  Down to about 40% util and of course, never paid late, etc.  EXP is now around 660, EQ up to 630.  Within 2 months I'll have Util below 30%.  The collections are paid but still show up. 

Here's my question, the three new cards I got were BOA, CAP1 and USAA.  Cap 1 went from 500 to 3,000 for the auto cli.  2 months later, I thought that BOA would match so I pressed the luv button. I got a decline for "too many inquiries/accounts opened". 

I didn't push it with a recon because I didn't know if it was a HP. (Checked EXP and no HP/SP, checked eq, nothing either).

My question is, should I just sit on these accounts and hope for an auto cli, or should I push the issue when I get down to 30% with my other 2 cards.  The sticking point is I want to buy a house this year and I don't know if its worth risking inquiries to try for higher CL or just leave it alone and have 0 inquiries in the last 12 months when I go to apply for the loan.

Any thoughts would be great!!

CK EQ: 730 / CK TU: 735 / EXP FICO: 721 / EX Vantage: 793 / Total Exposure: 112K
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
BBforever
Established Member

Re: Not sure where to go from here.. Kinda mid credit building, around 650~ scores...

If you want to buy a home, I would stay put and nurture the current credit/ scores....I wouldn't risk anymore inquiries if you want to apply for a mortgage. My 2 cents....

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.