Established Member
HopeLives

Not sure where to put this

Received a letter today from EX saying they'd received a request for personal information that was not deemed to be by me thereby, the request was labeled suspicious.

I have a bk and foreclosure on my record.

Would a PI (private investigator) try to do something like pull my credit without my knowing?  Or... I'm a little nervous.

Starting Score: 588
Current Score: 645
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Not sure where to put this

I'd pull your full report from the CRAs (or free via annualcreditreport.com). I'd look for any hard inquiries that may coincide with the CRA's phone call and I would also look at the soft pulls too. If anything remotely looked suspicious, I'd place a fraud alert on each CR (btw, you can also get your reports for free if you suspect fraud). I'd look at the demographics info too to see if there are any funny names or contact info added. Finally, I'd look around to see if there are any new TLs reporting. I'd probably also call the CRA back and ask if they have any records of that phone call.

Established Member
HopeLives

Just did what you suggested on Experian's site to begin with.  This was posted on their site:

Fraudulent letters and emails claiming to be from Experian

March 18, 2010

Experian is aware of an ongoing scam in which consumers are receiving emails from an entity claiming to be “Experian Credit Services, Consumer Fraud Division, in partnership with Lifelock, Inc.”

The email claims that someone has been trying to open multiple lines of credit in the consumer’s name and asks the consumer to click on a link to resolve the matter. Consumers need to be aware that this is a fraudulent request and is not in any away associated with Experian. Investigators from Experian's Global Security Office are working with the appropriate parties to uncover the source of these fraudulent emails.

Moderator Emeritus
llecs

[ Edited ]

That's an ongoing scam, but I'd guess what you have going on is different than that.

I take that back. You can always call EX and inquire about the letter. They'd have a record of it if legit.

Established Member
HopeLives

Does placing the FA on the EX file cause any derogatory problems?

I'm looking at buying a car in next few days.  I placed only the one at EX because of the letter (and subsequent email).

Or is the only purpose for FA is to ensure that credit grantors make sure I am who I am? 

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}