Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure where to start!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure where to start!

1. Hello.  I am new here and in the process of trying to clean up my credit.  I have quite a few medical bills plus a few other things on my credit report.  I am under the impression that even if I pay the accounts in full, my score will not improve unless the accounts are completely removed from my reports, correct? My issue is that I am not sure where to go from here.  I can't dispute the debts, because I know that they are valid.  Is there anyway for me to still get these removed if I pay in full or are they stuck there until they fall off?  If getting them removed is possible , where exactly do I start? Is it better for me to still pay those past collections?  Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! 

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Not sure where to start!

@Anonymous wrote:
  1. Hello.  I am new here and in the process of trying to clean up my credit.  I have quite a few medical bills plus a few other things on my credit report.  I am under the impression that even if I pay the accounts in full, my score will not improve unless the accounts are completely removed from my reports, correct? My issue is that I am not sure where to go from here.  I can't dispute the debts, because I know that they are valid.  Is there anyway for me to still get these removed if I pay in full or are they stuck there until they fall off?  If getting them removed is possible , where exactly do I start? Is it better for me to still pay those past collections?  Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! 

Thanks in advance.

call those collections and see who will PFD

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the forums Smiley Happy

Advice:

1: Get all of your Credit Reports from the Credit Agencies,: Transunion, Equifax, Experian,

2: Creat an Excel Spread Sheet including Date of First Delinquency (DOF) Amount, contact information for Collection agency and Original Creditor

3: Create a Plan of attack. Ie: I started going after the smaller amounts but other people prefer going after the oldest collection or even the most recent.

4: Understand that for a PAID collection to benefit your score it must be Removed completely. You can use Pay For Delete options or Goodwill letters (You can find examples and succes stories in this forum)

5: Understand difference between Charge Offs and regular collections (this one took a while for me)

I'll let someone else jump in and If i think about another ones I will post them

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!.  That gives me a direction to start.  It was all a little overwhelming for me to be honest.  

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Can you provide a  concise listing of each derog by date and type?

Priority usually depends upon the age and type of derogs.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it can ve overwhelming sometimes Smiley Happy but when it starts giving you results you'll see the rewards Smiley Happy

Another one I thought about

I use all of the Free Credit Monitorings out there (Note they have to be free and never request your CC info) I use Credit Karma, Credit Sesame, WisePiggy and Mint. I also have daily monitoring with an agency so I could do daily pulls and see if anything was falling of my reports.

You can either start by cleaning your records only,  but I would also add some positive Tradelines as well such as a Secured Card (Unsecured if available) or Installment Loan, such as a Securde Loan, Credit Builders Loan,

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.