Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nothing going right today...

tag
HectorVictorious
Regular Contributor

Nothing going right today...

This is my second post today but I am at a loss.  A couple weeks ago I sent a cookie cutter letter out to PFD a second collection on my account.  It is the same collection agency as the other issue I had.  The Thomas Agency.  

Anyway, in my PFD, I told them that I was neither denying nor admitting the debt that was listed, but I would like to pay the account in full to settle the debt as long as they deleted the collection from my credit report.  So the Thomas Agency sent me back a response saying this... which I would have expected if I sent them a DV...

Dear Consumer,

Enclosed please find an itemized copy of the bill(s) you requested.  Feel free to contact us with any questions.  This is an attempt to collect a debt and any information will be used for that purpose.  This communication is from a debt collector.

Sincerely,

The Thomas Agency

Am I wrong to assume they should have sent this if I DV'd them?  They didn't mention at all anything that I said about paying in full to delete from my credit report.

This is the same agency that said that they could not delete another tradeline from my report, because the OC doesn't "Wheel and Deal with this kind of thing".  Guiness told me that the OC has nothing to do with them deleting a collection off of my report.

I am just sooo frustrated.  I have 6 medical collections from this same agency, I had success on one that I didnt even send a PFD letter for, they just updated the other one wrong on my credit file, they gave me the runnaround a bunch and now they are sending this...

I need help and suggestions...

Thank you.

Starting Score: 503
Current Score: 591
Goal Score: 700

Cards: First Progress Secured Card $600.00; U.S. Bank Secured Card $500.00

Goal: AMEX Rewards Card, Purchase House by the end of 2014
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Re: Nothing going right today...

That is one of the problems with the "cookie cutter" letters. So many of them try to pack a one, two and sometimes 3 punch.  I would just try sending out another letter this time making sure that it was about nothing more than paying for deletion. Is this the same agency that gave you the PFD but it just updated?  If so maybe try calling them and getting them to come to a verbal agreement.  I know that we are cautioned not to do so and have everything in writing, but I have had a lot of success doing them verbally as well. It is a risk, but it is still an option.

Message 2 of 13
HectorVictorious
Regular Contributor

Yes, this is the same agency that I sent a PFD to and they updated my account to $0 but agreed over the phone to delete the account entirely..  It sucks having so many problems with them because they are literally the only collection accounts that I have and they hold all 6 of my collection accounts...

Message 3 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The OC has nothing to do with the reporting or removal of the CA TL.

Have you tried to work it out with the OC?  Have them pull back the accounts from the CA?  I don't remember.

Message 4 of 13
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

I would give them a call. Be sure to speak to the person that agreed to the PFD before. I would use the fact that the other account that they agreed to delete just updated as an ice breaker for the other ones.  Be like " Hey, I was just calling about such and such account that you guys said you were going to delete. Well I noticed that it updated a zero balance so I wanted to see if you guys could take another look at it and get it taken care of for me. Since I have you on the phone would it be possible for me to take care of these other accounts and get them deleted as well?"  Be patient and understanding with them and it can go a long ways. One of the downfalls of the industry they are in is that they dont deal with happy pleasant people too often and it can go a lot farther than you think.

Message 5 of 13
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

Yeah, as Guiness said always try the OC first.  You may even be able to avoid some of the fees if they are willing to work with you.

Message 6 of 13
HectorVictorious
Regular Contributor

Guinness, I have not thought of calling the OC. If they revoke those TL from the CA would the CA be forced to remove? And if I do call them and they can pull them back, do I just ask them if I can pay them the full balance?

Message 7 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If the OC recalls the debt from the CA, according to the credit reporting guide, yes, the CA must delete the TL.

Yes, you can say to the OC you would be willing to pay them the full balance if they will recall the debt.

Message 8 of 13
HectorVictorious
Regular Contributor

Okay, so the answer to my question brings up an entirely new question...

When/if I can get these medical loans pulled back to the OC, will they show up on my CR even though they are not a collection agency? Or will I have to go through the whole PFD/Debt validation processes all over again? 

Message 9 of 13
guiness56
Epic Contributor

The OC can report as long as the CRTP hasn't expired.  But, if they haven't by now they probably won't.

ETA:  You cannot send a DV to an OC, those are for 3rd party collection agencies.  You could arrange a PFD though.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.