cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now that I have started rebuilding my credit, I have NO patience!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now that I have started rebuilding my credit, I have NO patience!

I started rebuilding my credit AFTER I got a high interest car loan. I didn't have any choice at the time, as my car died an ugly death on the way to work one morning. Thanks to a real beauty of an ex husband and an adult child with kidney failure, my credit is a disaster and a half. My score was around 513 (fico8) 2 months ago. No idea what it was back in February when I financed my car. So I got a secured Capital One card back in June for $200. I just made my second payment (both months in full). I also went a little crazy with the shopping cart trick so I have 6 store cards with limits from $250 -$350. I know, but it felt wonderful to be pre-approved for anything. It would have felt great to be pre-approved for a popsicle stick. Just got my first bills from Victoria's Secret and Ann Taylor today, so the haven't been reported yet. My scores today are 586 on Equifax Complete Advantage, 583 on Experian Direct, and 555 Trans Union (capital one...I can't get an updated score until the 21st.) This is without addressing ANY of the multiple baddies on my reports.(Starting that on the first of next week)

My problem, and my immediate goal, is an unsecured card with at least $1500 limit. I check Capital One all the time to see if I prequalify. I don't. But it keeps me from accumulating more store cards. I know it will happen. I just want it to happen NOW! I hope I am not the only one that does this...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Now that I have started rebuilding my credit, I have NO patience!

Figures. I am the only one. Well I do like to be a unique individual.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest apping anyway. They will often approve anyway even though the prequal does not indicate anything. If they do deny just reapply in 2-3 months
Message 3 of 8
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Not having patience during a credit rebuild is not a good thing.

Patience is absolutely required.

For me I've gained about 40-50 points during my rebuild... which is now in its 27th month.

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I started rebuilding my credit AFTER I got a high interest car loan. I didn't have any choice at the time, as my car died an ugly death on the way to work one morning. Thanks to a real beauty of an ex husband and an adult child with kidney failure, my credit is a disaster and a half. My score was around 513 (fico8) 2 months ago. No idea what it was back in February when I financed my car. So I got a secured Capital One card back in June for $200. I just made my second payment (both months in full). I also went a little crazy with the shopping cart trick so I have 6 store cards with limits from $250 -$350. I know, but it felt wonderful to be pre-approved for anything. It would have felt great to be pre-approved for a popsicle stick. Just got my first bills from Victoria's Secret and Ann Taylor today, so the haven't been reported yet. My scores today are 586 on Equifax Complete Advantage, 583 on Experian Direct, and 555 Trans Union (capital one...I can't get an updated score until the 21st.) This is without addressing ANY of the multiple baddies on my reports.(Starting that on the first of next week)

My problem, and my immediate goal, is an unsecured card with at least $1500 limit. I check Capital One all the time to see if I prequalify. I don't. But it keeps me from accumulating more store cards. I know it will happen. I just want it to happen NOW! I hope I am not the only one that does this...

First, Welcome to myFico forums!

Second, nope, you are not alone at all!  I have very similar symptoms!

I am recovering from a very steep and bad credit crash in 2008 and 2009, with medical problems with my wife, now recovered.  My scores have improved dramatically since then but I still have a good ways to go.

I have 2 secured cards and some unsecured cards, and Ok, 3 of them are considered store cards too.

I am currently trying to impress B of A with my financial abilities managing their secured card in the hopes it will graduate soon.  I am grateful to have another chance with them, although I can get unsecured cards from other big CCCs.  I also want to app for more big CCs but I am trying to be patient to impress them.

I spend time at least once a week checking multiple pre-qual sites and that helps quench the want-me notions.

I just went to my Overstock account and after checking my spreadsheet, noticed it was 31 days since the last time I hit the Luv button for a CLI and I got another 400, so that took care of my current itch for a little while.

I would suggest you consider joining one of the CU sites and then when you feel your scores have improved, like 625 or above, and then app for a refi on your car loan.  I joined SDFCU and also NASA FCU.  If you dont already qualify for membership, just follow the instructions for 'who can join' and they have a wild card feature that will allow you to join.  They both have good rates for refi loans on cars an they do not require a HP just to join.

GL with your efforts.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did apply for the qs1 last week and was denied so I might try for just the unsecured platinum and see what it brings.

I am glad to know I am not the only o e that struggles with the want it now feeling., though. I was out of work for almost a year caring for my daughter, and the majority of my baddies are medical. Even AFTER the 80% insurance pays, that remaining 20 gets brutal with a chronic illness. Got some to dispute, as collections accounts are insanely erroneous, some to set up payments on. Slowly but surely, ill get there!

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well that cured that. Denied. Baby steps....

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Trust me your not alone! I've only been doing it bout a month. I go to prequalify sites all the time. Usually doesn't have anything for me. Smiley Sad Shopping cart trick doesn't work for me yet cuz I've moved a lot and hadn't had credit in years so have a thin profile and can't match me. Credit agencies now have my correct married name and addy so I can prob try again!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.