Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nutcase Letter

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nutcase Letter

Sorry if this is already answered somewhere, but I just read a reference to a nutcase letter and have never heard of this.  I was just curious as to what this was exactly and I can't find anything here.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Nutcase Letter

It's from a credit repair advice forum that I cannot link to here per the rules.  Just Google 'nutcase letter' and it will be the first result.

Message 2 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

In essence you are disputing a tradeline, accurate or not, over inconsistencies in reporting. Some might be legit like ownership, late placement, or balance. But it isn't advocated here because those other forums will also suggest you dispute everything, accuracy included. There are a number of dangers in doing so like increased collection activity, updated reporting, lowered score, and so on, and even if removed, it doesn't make the debt less valid.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

In essence you are disputing a tradeline, accurate or not, over inconsistencies in reporting. Some might be legit like ownership, late placement, or balance. But it isn't advocated here because those other forums will also suggest you dispute everything, accuracy included. There are a number of dangers in doing so like increased collection activity, updated reporting, lowered score, and so on, and even if removed, it doesn't make the debt less valid.

Thanks, that's all I wanted to know.  I just loved the name of the letter!  I will stick with my GWs and PFDs.  I am done disputing, and only disputed things that were invalid.

Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I agree totally that disputes lacking an asserted inaccuracy are clearly not appropriate under the statute.

Many consumers are, in my opinion, falsely enticed to dispute under the assumption that, if found to be inaccurate, the information must be deleted from their CR.  The statute does not compel CR deletion as the outcome of a finding of inaccurate reporting.  The furnisher of the information can simply correct the information without any requirement to delete. FCRA 623(b)(1)(E)(i):  Yes, inaccurate information can always be disputed, but if it is primarily a date or amount, the likely outcome will probably simply be a correction rather than any deletion.

Message 5 of 6
esme
Regular Contributor

I used the nutcase letter on some very old collections on mine and my husband's CRs where requesting GWs didn't work. When I sent the nutcase letter, within a week they were deleted.

Starting Scores: EQ 582 TU 584 EX 615 (FICO - Lender Pulled) 1/4/2012
Current Scores:EQ 632 TU 698 EX 669 (Lender Pulled) 3/17/2012
Goal Scores:700 club here we come!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.