Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC/CA Reporting Issue

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

OC/CA Reporting Issue

Help from the Brain Train!

I have a collectiion that just showed up on my EQ report from 2010 for an electric co. in another state. It has never shown up on any of the site reports including CCT but did when I pulled my annualcreditreport.com full reports and there it is.

The debt shows

Date Assigned: 10/2010

Date Reported: 12/2015

It is reported by the OC.

I just got off the phone with them and they said they turned it over to collections in 10/2010 w/Network Collections and the debt goes back to 5/2010.

It was a remaining balance on a bill that went above the deposit I had and I wasn't aware of it.

Anyway, when I stated that I wanted a PFD letter from them and I would PIF afterwards she said that they were unable to send me any letter as it is in the hands of the CA and I would have to direct all communication to them.

The problem is that the OC is the only one reporting and the CA has never reported any debt to any CRA against me.

It's only $184 and I will gladly PIF but not until I have a solid letter of expectation that this item will be fully deleted.

Thoughts, answers???

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: OC/CA Reporting Issue

The creditor can certanly hire a debt collector, and then require any payments be made via their assigned debt collector.

One reason they hire a debt collector is to free themselves from the hassle of dealing with delinquent debts.

The debt collector is acting as the agent of the creditor.

You can certainly make a payment offer to the debt collector that is contingent upon the debt collector agreeing not to report their collection, and/or upon the debt collector obtaining agreement from the creditor to delete their (the creditor's) reporting.

They could either make a statement that the creditor has concurred that payment will result in their deletion of reporting, or that the creditor will send their own confirmation prior to any payment.

Call the debt collector and make your offers.

However, be aware that the credtior is under a credit reporting agreement with the CRAs that includes their agreement not to delete reporting based on payment of the debt.

That could affect their willingness to reduce to writing an agreement to delete for that reason.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: OC/CA Reporting Issue

@RobertEG wrote:

The creditor can certanly hire a debt collector, and then require any payments be made via their assigned debt collector.

One reason they hire a debt collector is to free themselves from the hassle of dealing with delinquent debts.

The debt collector is acting as the agent of the creditor.

You can certainly make a payment offer to the debt collector that is contingent upon the debt collector agreeing not to report their collection, and/or upon the debt collector obtaining agreement from the creditor to delete their (the creditor's) reporting.

They could either make a statement that the creditor has concurred that payment will result in their deletion of reporting, or that the creditor will send their own confirmation prior to any payment.

Call the debt collector and make your offers.

However, be aware that the credtior is under a credit reporting agreement with the CRAs that includes their agreement not to delete reporting based on payment of the debt.

That could affect their willingness to reduce to writing an agreement to delete for that reason.

Thank RobertEG,

I wasn't sure about a couple of the things you said (highlighted) but that was my suspicion. What are the odds that they would play it staright and give me what I'm asking for??? 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.