cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC agreed to delete and sent me a deletion verification letter...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

OC agreed to delete and sent me a deletion verification letter...

OC agreed (in writing) to delete my entire account from all 3 CRA's after I GWed them.... that was back in October of last year.

TU's vanished within a few days. Then EX's vanished after a few weeks. I figured EQ would soon follow... Well, fast foward 5 months later, and I still see Equifax reporting the same account today. I contacted the OC, and they claimed that they informed EQ to remove it a long time ago, as promised.

My question is... what's my next step? Can I dispute with Equifax as "creditor agreed to delete?"... also, should that be done "online" or via US mail? I've heard of updates taking 1-2 months... but 5-6? *shugs*

Thanks guy!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Treysdaddy08
Valued Member

Re: OC agreed to delete and sent me a deletion verification letter...

I would First call the CRA. Sometimes they have that info in their system, but for one reason or another just haven't updated it. If they don't, then I would ask the OC for a letter stating that the report should be deleted. Fax that to the CRA.

Starting Score: 2/2/12 - 551
Current Score: 3/18/12 - 636
Goal Score: 660

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In my opinion, that is not a basis for a dispute.

The issue is not one of inaccuracy in their current reporting.   Private agreements reached between you and the creditor are not a basis for CRA intervention as regards CR deletion.  It is the responsibility of the credit to report updates.

Additionally, the CRAs have a policy that prior reporting should not be deleted based on payment of the debt.  If you dispute, your stated basis would be....they agreed to delete based on......my payment of the debt?  You would be asking the CRA to intervene in a deletion that is contrary to their written policy.

I would not throw this into the dispute process.

Message 3 of 9
Treysdaddy08
Valued Member

I agree with you, which is why I thought that if the OP got w letter simply stating that the report should be deleted, and faxed that to the CRA, then perhaps it would speed up the process. No reason stated. Just, "trade line should be deleted from all credit reports."

Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

+1

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

"If you dispute, your stated basis would be....they agreed to delete based on......my payment of the debt? "

Well, according to the OC, this is their reason for the deletion:

"Since the above account is no longer in our system, we cannot provide you with any information pertaining to late fees, payments, etc. Furthermore, we are pleased to inform you that we have now requested Equifax, Experian, and Transunion to remove these accounts from your credit report."

I never out-right asked them to delete it (mainly because I never, in a million years, thought they would). I only wrote to "vent" a little bit.... although, I obviously won't complain about the deletion, considering how bad the entire TL was...

Message 6 of 9
Treysdaddy08
Valued Member

If you have a letter stating that, fax it to the CRA still reporting.

Message 7 of 9
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

There is a dispute option with Equifax that reads pretty much like "update amount, status, etc of this account" (it's on the right hand side near the top of the Equifax dispute online form).

I recently used this reason to get Equifax to update my Lowes account which was "stuck" on my report from 10/2011 through 2/2012. I even got a SW alert on 3/06/12 that "alerted" me that an inactive account was now reporting (seriously). TU and EX were correctly reporting my lowes account, EQ had the balance and CL stuck on 10/1/11.

Using this method you are just asking for the record to be updated and in THIS case since the CA says they have notified EQ, it should "self correct".

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

*** UPDATE ***

Well, as advised in this thread...

I disputed with Equifax and they sent me a letter today saying that the item would be deleted immediately. I checked my report a few hours ago and it has indeed vanished... POOF! Gone like the wind. Smiley Wink

Thanks for all your help / input guys!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.