cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC deleted after 7 years and now new CA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

OC deleted after 7 years and now new CA?

If an Original Creditor is deleted from my account ( due to the 7 year rule) is it ok if a new Collection Agency for same debt pops up on my report? I thought that was illegal and something to dispute? What if a CA got deleted for same reason as above ((7 yr rule) can a new one pop up and start reporting again? Assuming I’ve never paid or brought it current in both scenarios . Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
Kree
Established Contributor

Re: OC deleted after 7 years and now new CA?

They cannot. They are required to report accurate information including a DOFD.  Dispute the DOFD if missing, or inaccurate. If they verify the tradeline you can sue them for 1,000 dollars plus attorney fees, or something.  Someone else can help explain that step, as I've never had to litigate.

Alternatively, if the DOFD is properly listed, contact the CRA and ask that the tradeline be removed due to the 7 year 180d thing.

Message 2 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

The max time it can remain on file is 7.5 yrs from the DoFD. A new CA reporting on your CR has 90 days to supply the CRA with the DoFD and its the same one the OC uses. If its past 7.5 yrs and it comes back verified then you can file a CFPB complaint and ask for the 1K as remedy in addition to having them remove the TL. You need to have proof of the DoFD.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had no idea you could do that..... learn something new here every day!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.