Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC gone but CA still there unpaid

tag
Mellochick
Contributor

OC gone but CA still there unpaid

Ok so I recently pulled my reports, I have a significant credit card on my report a year ago which is the OC. This year's report shows the OC is gone but there is a CA on there now for the amount which shows a newly opened account! The debt is 6 years old is now past the statute of limitations but can still report for another year. Is the CA allowed to report if the OC is gone now??

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Teardrop
New Contributor

Re: OC gone but CA still there unpaid

I just wrote a letter to the OC stating the SOL hoping that they will adhere to them.  Have you looked at the date for which these will fall off your credit report?  There is no way of getting around that date.  So even though it is there with a CA it should have a date stating when it falls off.

• Collection accounts remain seven years from the original delinquency date of the original account. Collection accounts are treated as a continuation of the original debt and are deleted at the same time.
  • The collection agency is required by law to carry over that original delinquency date from the first account and report it to the credit reporting company. That ensures the collection account is deleted at the correct time.

Seedling Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/31/2014 - No apps while waiting to apply for home loan!
Starting Score: EX 640 EQ 593 TU>592 Lender Pulled 3/30/2014
Goal Score: All Scores 730+

Message 2 of 21
Mellochick
Contributor

They still have one year to report it. But I would think that if the OC deletes their account then shouldn't the CA as well? I thought I read somewhere that if the OC leaves that the CA is required to as well.

Message 3 of 21
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

There is a significant difference with SOL, and CTRP.

SOL may have expired, but the reporting time with the CRAs is based on CRTP.

Message 4 of 21
Teardrop
New Contributor

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

There is a significant difference with SOL, and CTRP.

SOL may have expired, but the reporting time with the CRAs is based on CRTP.

What is CRTP again?

Seedling Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/31/2014 - No apps while waiting to apply for home loan!
Starting Score: EX 640 EQ 593 TU>592 Lender Pulled 3/30/2014
Goal Score: All Scores 730+

Message 5 of 21
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Message 6 of 21
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes. it is proper.

There is no requirement that the debt collector delete their reporting based on the OC having deleted their reporting.

Message 7 of 21
Mellochick
Contributor

But must the CA use the date they opened their account or the original open date?

Message 8 of 21
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

The date opened listed under a CA is typically the day the CA took it over.

DOFD from the OC (original creditor) is their compliancy date for CRTP, and SOL.

Message 9 of 21
Mellochick
Contributor

So what if the CA is showing the account was just opened if the debt was from 6 years ago? Is there anything that I can do so this doesn't show as a NEW debt?? There isn't anything else on my credit report to show when the original debt was taken out since the OC is gone now. So a lender only sees the new debt from a few months ago which contributes to half of my debt and the debt is really 6 years old!!!

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.