Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC has two different charge-off's amounts listed

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: OC has two different charge-off's amounts listed

Your CR will show both the amount they originally charged-off and the current debt balance. Obligation for the debt does not cease based on their having charged-off the debt, nor does the accrual of additional interest, etc., authorized under the account agreement. Thus, it is not necessarily inconsistent for the current debt to report as greater than the amount of the charge-off.

Creditors have an obligation to update the current accuracy of any prior reporting, and thus should be updating the debt balance as it changes. A debt collector can also report the current debt balance as an increased amount provided any additional amounts were authorized in the account agreement with the OC, or are otherwise permitted by law.

If the amounts are considered to be incorrect, send the OC a direct dispute of its accuracy, requiring them to investigate and verify their reporting. If inaccurate, they can update to correct any inaccuracy without requirement to delete their reporting.

If a debt collector reports, send them a DV requesting an itemization of the debt, which will provide basis for challenging any amount considered not to have been authorized in the original account agreement or otherwise authorized by law in your state.

Message 11 of 18
DaBears
Senior Contributor

I called the OC and he stated he can't give no information cause they don't own the debt anymore he could'nt even tell me what the charge-off amount was.

Message 12 of 18
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Message 13 of 18
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@ Guiness, can you clarify this for me pleaseeeeeee??Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

All of the CRAs should be reporting the same amount for the CO. 

I would send the OC a direct dispute and have them correct/update it.  That is a $500 difference.

ETA:  Once they sold it they can no longer add charges to it.

Message 15 of 18
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Cha-Ching, ty Guiness!!!! I shall give this one to my attorney on thurday. So far this yr I have gotten back $2500 for fcra/fdcpa violations. I'm still taking my wife to a nice dinner at Taco Bell.

Message 16 of 18
txmomma26
Regular Contributor

Sheesh - with $2500, can't you spring for a Happy Meal at McDonald's? Smiley Happy

Start: (2-26): EQ 602 (Myfico) TU 579 (Credit Karma) EX 634 FAKO
Current: (7-12): EQ 690(myfico) WalmartTU 696 EX 689 (lender 6-3)
1st Goal: 680 across the board - DONE June 2013!
2nd Goal: 725 across the board
Message 17 of 18
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Taco Bell is actually healthier. She is a vegetarian Smiley Frustrated

Makes my shopping for her more frustrating lol....I spend about $5 on her veggie crap at the store. I do however make her pick up chicken nuggets for my daughter lol. She hates it.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.