Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC vs CA Question

tag
swk215
Established Member

OC vs CA Question

Hi All,

I recently had a CA show up on my credit reports for an old phone line (landline) that I thought had been paid off when it was cancelled.  I'm thinking about calling the OC today to find out if they still own the account (fingers and toes all crossed) and if they do, paying them directly, which should invalidate the collection account if I'm not mistaken.  The OC is not reporting on my CRS.  Am I going about this the right way?  I just want to make sure I don't make any moves without being sure that I'm not getting myself into a pickle.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: OC vs CA Question

No, it will not invalidate the collection account.  You would have to ask the OC to recall the account from the CA in order for it to no longer report.  That is only if they still own the account.

If they do not own it, DV the CA.  If they validate, ask for a PFD.

How old is the debt?

Message 2 of 6
swk215
Established Member

Wow, thank you for the fast response!  The account is from Spring '06 and looks like it was placed for collection in 10/07.  As far as the CA goes, how can they continue to collect an account that has been paid?  Sorry if it sounds naive, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@swk215 wrote:
Wow, thank you for the fast response!  The account is from Spring '06 and looks like it was placed for collection in 10/07.  As far as the CA goes, how can they continue to collect an account that has been paid?  Sorry if it sounds naive, it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

They can't collect for an account that has already been paid. They can report as $0, if PIF, but they can't collect on it. In your prev. post you mentioned that you would like to pay them, but that you thought you had paid them. Contact the OC as mentioned and ask for a copy of the last couple bills or the last bill showing payment. Go through your own records and match up your last payment to theirs and see if it was paid or not.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call the phone co. and ask if they will pull it back from the CA with full payment.....many will do so.  If they say yes....send them a PFD and wait for them to answer....you want it in writting!!!
Message 5 of 6
swk215
Established Member

Thanks for that advice!  I didn't even realize it was something I could ask for.  The CSR that I spoke with at the OC was really lovely; here's to hoping whomever I reach the next time is equally so!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.