cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OC will accept payment in full, now what?

tag
wvasweetness
Contributor

OC will accept payment in full, now what?

Got a collection notice about a $90 hospital bill and it is showing on my CR (has shown up some time between October and now).  Called the hospital and spoke to billing who said that they will accept my payment.

What should I do about having the item removed from my CR?  The Collection Agency is the one that reported the item.  Should I mail proof of payment to the CA?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
newstart2010
Blogger

Re: OC will accept payment in full, now what?

Proof of payment will only get them to update the status.  You have to have them agree to delete the payment before you make the payment.  Or you have to get the hospital to agree to pull the collection agency back in order for you to pay them.  That is the only thing you can do to have it deleted.
I live my life like I type, fast and with a lot of mistakes.
Spacebar broken. Watch for finger.

02/04/2015 || TU 08: 728 EX 08: 709 EQ 08: 748

Message 2 of 8
wvasweetness
Contributor

Can I pay the OC, and then ask the CA to validate the debt?  Will they be able to validate the debt if its already been paid?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

NO...do not DV the CA on a paid medical debt.

Use the HIPAA letter process.  Check your PM for a link.

Message 4 of 8
Cheryla18
Established Contributor

Can I get that information also, please?

Thanks in Advance

Cheryl

Current as of 3/21/18 EQ 609 TU 619 EX 628
Discharge 7/2016 Ch 7 BK
Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I know this similar issue has come up on dozens of posts, but I have never seen a definative answer to this basic question:

Basic scenario:  An OC places a debt for collection, and then assigns collection activity to a CA.  So the CA then adds a legitimate post to your CR.

Then, you negotiate a full payment to the OC.  I dont care, for puposes of this hypthetical, whether you negoatiate a PIF or PFD with the OC.

There is little doubt that the OC debt is then discharged, and the OC will notify their agent, the CA, of its payment, thus terminating the contract for collecton between the OC and CA.

My question is simple.  The prior reporting by the CA was legitimate.  It did go into collection.  Under what legal basis under the FCRA is the CA required to then DELETE their CA reporting with the CRA?  Yes, if all debt is discharged, that would require them to update the CA account status to paid. 

But why or how does that require the CA to delete?  And what if the CA still claims fees or interest not paid to the OC, but asserted as due to them for their expenses?

An OC account is between the OC and the consumer.  A CA account is between the CA and the CRA.  They are totally separate.  How can an OC compel modification or deletion of CA reporting any more than a CA can complel modification of prior OC reporting?

Any basis you can see for requiting CA deletion?  I simply dont see it.....????

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

As I understand the legal theory, the legal basis is not one of FCRA.  It is based upon medical privacy laws (state and federal) and the limitations on disclosure of personally identifiable information related to medical records.

In your scenario, if one were to negotiate a non-medical debt to PIF or PFD with the OC, one would then DV the CA.  However, with medical debt, one does not DV, otherwise the CA has your consent to obtain the relevent information.

A medical provider has a right to collect a legitimate medical debt.  A CA may have the right to collect on behalf of the OC.  Reporting is considered an act of collection similar in nature to dunning letters and calls.  However, once a medical debt is paid/settled, there is no longer a legitimate collection.  And now HIPAA rules apply to the disclosure of medical information. 

The OC has provided priviledged information to the CA, without your consent. While the OC has a right to collections, the CA does not have a right to the information nor to report medically priviledged information, once a legitimate debt no longer exists.

The CA, by reporting a "medical debt" which is declared categorically on the CR to be medical, also discloses the name of  "original creditor" (usually the medical provider whose name may also give hint to the type of medical treatments) along with your name, social security number, date of birth, etc. 

Once the debt is settled/paid, the continued disclosure of medically priviledged information is potentially a violation of HIPAA (if one procedes with the process correctly and has not accidently given consent through DV or other methods).  If paid/settled properly, none of these disclosures of medical information is done with the consent or release of the patient, which means there is a very narrow and limited means for the reporting of this information to any third party.  And with the debt satisfied, this eliminates the OC or CA argument that it is for legitimate business purposes.  Therefore, the theory and basis is that once the debt is discharged, the right to report it no longer exists, especially if one is able to settle it with the OC.

Therefore, the HIPAA letter process seeks to establish that a business relationship exists between the OC and CA, and identify who, what and when medically priviledged information has been disclosed to and/or by those parties.  This shows that the OC has provided priviledged information to the CA.  And the fact that the CA has reported it is an additional disclosure, all without consent.  Once the debt is satisfied, then there no longer exists, under HIPAA, any reason for disclosure, which will also relate to the reporting.  

In additional support of this, often and generally, a medical debt does not represent the extension of credit in the sense that a borrower applied for credit/loan and thereafter defaulted on a promise to pay under that agreement.  Generally these are the result of medical emergencies, insurance disputes, loss of coverages, etc. which created an unforseen debt that was potentially beyond the financial means of the patient.

The reason this is a reasonable assumption, is that medical providers generally require payment at the time of service, otherwise service will not be rendered.  Elective procedures require payment in advance.  Only unplanned or medically necessary treatments end up in collections (yes, there are exceptions).  Currently there are considerations under law to regulate the reporting (credit related) of medical debts differently than conventional creditors debts.

So, under the HIPAA process it is generally the theory to NEVER DV the CA, because this authorizes the CA to obtain the medical and priviledged information, because you asked them to obtain it.

IMO Smiley Happy

Message Edited by txjohn on 02-07-2010 09:39 AM
Message 7 of 8
goldenboy
Established Member

i've started the hippa process by sending the dispute letter to the cra. i received a response from EQ and they just list the CA  their address, amount owed and phone number. these are all things that are on my CR already. in order for me to continue in the next step of the hippa process i need to send a cashier's check to the origianal medical provider and while i have their name i don't have their address or phone number. i've googled them and can't find a thing. i don't want to contact the CA as noted on this post.where do i go from here?

CA- doctor's business bureau

OC- Emergency Phys Associates

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.