Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OLD PAID COLLECTIONS

tag
jmack711
Regular Contributor

OLD PAID COLLECTIONS

I have TWO collections from 2008 with JJ Marshall & Associates. Neither were settled but PIF. I've been trying for the longest time to get them removed by GW but they just will NOT budge. Has anyone had any success with them as I'm really trying to clear up all my negatives. Thanks for your input!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: OLD PAID COLLECTIONS

I'm not familiar with JJ Marshall & Associates but now that they have your money, they are less likely to remove the collections. I would keep trying to GW them. By phone and mail.

Message 2 of 7
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not familiar with JJ Marshall & Associates but now that they have your money, they are less likely to remove the collections. I would keep trying to GW them. By phone and mail.

I don't agree with this, personally... YMMV though..

Although, in THIS case, it seems they are playing hardball, I have had the bulk of my luck, in fact 14 accounts to be exact, removed by paying in full and GWing after the fact.. I think GW works better that PFD these days to be honest.. 

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 3 of 7
jmack711
Regular Contributor

Yeah that's pretty much what I figured. I mean it is scheduled to fall off in 2014 but the earlier the better.
Message 4 of 7
hendersj31
Valued Member

Look for anything you can find that is incorrect about the item on your credit report and dispute it.  Maybe they will not take the time to respond to the credit bureaus.  I had a similar issue with one of the most difficult CAs and when I noticed the paid collection was still showing past due after several months on my report I disputed and it was removed from 2 of 3 credit reports.  I think I may have gotten lucky since it was the holidays and all, but it worked, and since it is paid I am hopeful it will not return. 

Just a thought and possibility.  After all, they won't respond to you, maybe they won't respond to credit bureaus either....

Message 5 of 7
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@hendersj31 wrote:

Look for anything you can find that is incorrect about the item on your credit report and dispute it.  Maybe they will not take the time to respond to the credit bureaus.  I had a similar issue with one of the most difficult CAs and when I noticed the paid collection was still showing past due after several months on my report I disputed and it was removed from 2 of 3 credit reports.  I think I may have gotten lucky since it was the holidays and all, but it worked, and since it is paid I am hopeful it will not return. 

Just a thought and possibility.  After all, they won't respond to you, maybe they won't respond to credit bureaus either....

Well -- If you DO find something wrong with the account, I would recommend doing a direct dispute with the CA, via CMRRR mailing, because disputing through the CRAs is fickle, and is much, much easier for them to respond to the CRA.

It is merely a keystroke through a computer system.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 6 of 7
jmack711
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone! On Experian the status of the account says paid, closed. However, payment history says collection as of June 2012. This account was paid in 2008. I wonder is that hurting my score more?
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.