Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OMG +52 on EQ!! GW to GEMB / JCP works!

tag
JayBeast
New Contributor

OMG +52 on EQ!! GW to GEMB / JCP works!

About 6 months ago I sent a GW to JCP requesting to have 4 lates (consecutively 30, 60, 90 & 120 days) removed from early 2006.  I moved and thought I PIF'd before moving, but I left a $10 balance and didn't notice it until months later when I decided to dust off the CC.  The card was closed due to the lates and inactivity.  I received a letter about 2 weeks later stating they sent requests to the CRAs to remove all derogatory information and reopened my account.  I didn't ask for the account to be reopened but it was a bonus (especially since I got a massive CLI a few months ago and haven't been CLD yet).  I kept checking my reports but the lates were still there. 

I decided to call the number on the back of my card about a month ago to find out why the lates are still there. I spoke to the first CSR that answered.  Apparently someone at GEMB dropped the ball.  They had record of the letter and said they will request have them removed.  The call with the CSR was very amicable and easy going.  I thought to myself that I accomplished nothing but wasting my time, but I decided to give it some time to see what happens.

Fast forward to a week ago and almost a month after the phone call.  I wrote a follow up letter to GEMB  and was planning to mail it CMRRR on my next day off (today) I have yet to hear from them or see any progress on my reports.  Three days ago, the lates fell off my reports on TC.  Two days ago, I got an email from score watch saying my EQ score jumped 52 points!  Today I got a letter from JCP expressly stating they sent a request to the CRAs stating I have always been on time and never delinquent.  I also finally pulled up my score watch report to find out the jump is solely due to the lates being removed!!!

I haven't pulled my scores for EX or TU, but the information on all of them is identical through TC, so I would assume the score jumps will be similar.  Other than high util, this was my only other baddie.  I didn't make a significant dent in my util this month as its the holidays and used the "extra" money that I would have paid on the cards for my shopping.  My deduction is this jump is solely due to the lates.

GW works, even on old lates!!!! Don't give up!!! I can hardly believe I'm at 750 and am now thinking 800 is possible even for me!!!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ficorenavator
Regular Contributor

Re: OMG +52 on EQ!! GW to GEMB / JCP works!

Hi, could you post the GW letter you used?

thanks

Message 2 of 10
JayBeast
New Contributor

@dirty77 wrote:

Hi, could you post the GW letter you used?

thanks

I would honestly rather not post it as it is literally bleeding my heart out with the reasons why the lates were caused in the first place and as a result very personal.  Long story short, I had to move to a more affordable place to live due to financial hardship brought on by losing my job and a terminally ill parent all at the same time.  My statements were never forwarded and I didn't have the sense of mind to check on my credit, let alone the ability to pay a bill at the time.

What I will say is that I grossly based it off an example GW letter posted by Tuscani here on the forums.  You can find the letter by clicking here.  *Gracious bow to Tuscani and anyone else involved crafting the letter.*   The key point to remember when crafting a GW is to explain why the baddie is not typical of your financial behavior and the incentive they have to do it.  (In my case increased usage--Its JCP, who doesn't shop there?)

I addressed the letter to the address given to me by the CSRs:

JC Penney Credit Services / GEMB

PO Box 981403

El Paso, TX  7998

Other than my name, address, and reason why they should remove the lates, the only other personal info I had to include was my account number.

Edit to add:  I found the overall GW experience with GEMB very easy to work with.  I would highly encourage anyone with lates with GEMB to at least try.  You have nothing to lose and might be surprised by the response!

Message Edited by JayBeast on 12-16-2008 04:43 PM
Message 3 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

Nice, very nice.Smiley Very Happy

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 10
clocktick
Valued Contributor

That's great to hear!  I've been reading a few negative things lately regarding GEMB but I'm glad they decided to take care of a former customer and give them another chance!

Nice going!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 10
stone4779
Valued Member

Hey did they open up a new JCP account or did they reopen your old one? Did it update the report as a new account i mean? Like "Opened: 2005"?

I had an account from 1997 closed due to inactivity...figured maybe they would reopen it..

Thanks Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: 780
Goal Score: 800+

Message 6 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@stone4779 wrote:

Hey did they open up a new JCP account or did they reopen your old one? Did it update the report as a new account i mean? Like "Opened: 2005"?

I had an account from 1997 closed due to inactivity...figured maybe they would reopen it..

Thanks Smiley Happy

Hi stone4779.

This thread is well over 2 years old so you might not ever get an answer. I wanted to point that out to you just in case you don't ever hear back from anyone.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 7 of 10
stone4779
Valued Member

Yeha I noticed, but figured maybe theres a chance he/she might reply...if anything if anyone reads its a reminder of how much lates can drop the score Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

I had an AMEX that I reopened about five or six months ago. Didn't actually ask to reopen it, just applied for a new card. When I later looked at my reports, it showed active since 1997 (I think it was). Loved that they showed that. Increased my average age nicely.
Message 9 of 10
stone4779
Valued Member

yea Amex's backdating is awesome...

i had a Blue card back in 2000 n it got closed n i left a $2600 balance unpaid..

i was 18 and dumb about credit...in college...wish i hadnt...

thought about paying it back so i could get a couple cards through amex n close the two i have that were opened in 2008 to improve my AAoA..

imma wait a bit n see if i can slip past the blacklist first..lol, cant hurt to try Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.