Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obsessed with rebuilding

tag
dt3813
Regular Contributor

Obsessed with rebuilding

Hi all.  I'm completely obsessed with rebuilding my credit.  In the past, I always had great credit and lots of it...easitly over $100,000 in credit cards.  I married a guy we had great jobs, $500k income, 2 houses, 3 cars, a boat, he had children.  Then the shoe dropped, when he started doing work related drugs (medical field), He had no income and I was left responsible for everything.  Of course, eventually I left him, but not right away.  His children lived with us and I couldn't just bail on them.  I emptied my retirement accounts to keep afloat and maxed out my credit cards.  It was 2007, so we were completely upside in our houses.  I downsized our vehicles, which he though was "mean and vindictive", because I traded his corvette in for a JEEP wrangler.  I also traded-in my Infiniti QX56 for a JEEP wrangler, so I guess I was mean and vindictive to myself too.  Anyway, both houses wouldn't sell and after 2-3 years I was so overextended keeping $6000 in mortgages alive, I let everything go.  I was $170,000 in joint tax debt (I had to pay because he didn't work), who knows how many thousands in credit debt most was in my name and $170,000 in student loan debt.  I'd say we were living beyond our means, prior to him losing his job.  We had been banking on one house selling and purchased another before it did...lesson learned (lots of lessons learned).  Anyway in 2010 i had to file Ch. 13.  I was so embarrassed.  Especially, when I had to filed the paperwork for the wage garnishment.  In June I was discharged.  I was paying $2650/month in payment plans.  It was a very hard 5 years, but its done and time to move on.  

I'm so thankful for this board.  Like I said, previously I had great credit, but honestly I didn't know how it worked.  I had cards, used them, paid my bills when I got statements.  Thought nothing of carrying balances or even having maxed out cards.  WOW!  I can't believe how I even had high scores.  It really must have been easy to get mortgages, because I've purchased 3 houses in my lifetime (now I can't even get a car loan).  Becuase of this board, I've learned so much, I'm going to teach my children everything I've learned.  I wish there was a class in high school to teach about credit, personal finances, retirement accounts and the importance of saving (and picking the right mate).  I thought nothing of emptying my 401ks!  Now I completely regret it.  I'm so far behind in my retirement savings and I stress about it.  Of course I max the amount you can put in, but that won't be enough.  This is accually a long thank you letter.  Today after being denied constantly I was approved for a capital one card for $3000 (i had to jump through hoops).  It feels like a relief....Like I've graduated and finally being able to dig out of this dark place.  I am making the most money I've ever made, I have 2 beautful healthy children and a significant other, who is a great dad.  Unemployed and financially over-extended, but I don't really mind being a sugarmama since he gave me these awesome children.  THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for teaching me.  I read all your stories and I learn from each and everyone of you.  

I have a question....Bankamericard preapproves me, but I've heard with a judgement on your record, not to pull the trigger.....I tried 3 days after discharge, should I try again or just garden?  I burned them for over $500,000 between foreclosure and credit cards.......

Discharged Ch.13 6/24/15
Scores on discharge EQ669 TU650 EX654
current scores EQ776 TU775 EX758
WF $2500 WF $3000 Discover $6000 Target $1200 Amazon $5000 Jcrew $5250 Lowes $8300 Tjmaxx $5000 Cap1 $14750 venture $25500 jetBlue $21000 pier1 $5000 Amex $10000x2 AMEX $21,000 BoA$8000 CitiDC$8000

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Obsessed with rebuilding

What lines of credit do you currently have?

If it was difficult getting the cap1 card you might want to garden just toake sure you don't waste a hard pull.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry about what happened. Glad your back on track. I unfortunately have a judgement on my report that will come off in March. I've still been approved for some pretty good cards though. How old is the judgement?
Message 3 of 4
dt3813
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry about what happened. Glad your back on track. I unfortunately have a judgement on my report that will come off in March. I've still been approved for some pretty good cards though. How old is the judgement?

One judgement is a tax lien...that was just paid, so I'm hearing it stays on 7 years after that.  I'll try to get it extinguished...we'll see.  The bankruptcy should be off 2/2017 (or EE 3-6 months before).  I'm in a good place now.  This forum is so full of support and information.  It's wonderful.

Discharged Ch.13 6/24/15
Scores on discharge EQ669 TU650 EX654
current scores EQ776 TU775 EX758
WF $2500 WF $3000 Discover $6000 Target $1200 Amazon $5000 Jcrew $5250 Lowes $8300 Tjmaxx $5000 Cap1 $14750 venture $25500 jetBlue $21000 pier1 $5000 Amex $10000x2 AMEX $21,000 BoA$8000 CitiDC$8000

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.