Regular Contributor
BackInTheSaddleAgain

Obtaining Max Credit Score

Okay Experts, I really need a little advise here. I am rebuilding my credit from a business BK in 2007. I would like to refinance 2 cars (with high interest rate loans) sometime over the next month, so I want to posture my report for the best score possible in the meantime. How do I do that? Over the past year I have kept my total CC utilization at less than 2% on all 4 of my cards. This month I tried keeping a little higher balances on my cards, but that manuever just cost me 5 points on Equifax and 15 points on TransUnion (both myFICO). Obviously, I kept too much on them; especially Merrick. So here's what I did:

CL / Utilization:

CapOne: $1,500 / $193

Merrick:      $750 / $283

CreditOne: $550 / $4

WalMart:        $0

Should I pay Merrick off completely, or keep $10 or $20 on it? How about CapOne? I realize the common thought for max score is total utilization at 9% or less. Therefore, would you keep 5% to 9% on ONE card, or distribute it over 2 or 3 cards? Anyways, I would not only like to refinance 2 cars soon, but I would also like to apply for a prime card as well.

Thanks ahead of time for your input and advise.

Current Score: EX: 718, EQ: 715, TU: 720
Goal Score: EX: 750, EQ: 750, TU: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Established Member
Barris

Re: Obtaining Max Credit Score

My advice is to to spread out the 9 percent over your cards keeping the largest balance on the card that has the oldest TL.

Valued Contributor
dodfire

If it were me I would pay off Merrick and Credit One put your balance on Cap One at $135 that will give you 9% UTL on the Cap One card and an overall UTL of 4.8%...thats my thoughts.

*8/10/13
Regular Contributor
BackInTheSaddleAgain

Thanks. By the way, I don't need to carry a balance. I am only doing so as an attempt to maximze my scores. So you think a 4 or 5% utilization on one card is the key? Makes sense to me I guess. Unless 2 or 3% would be better. Regardless, putting the proper balance on my oldest card makes sense too (CapOne). Also, I left out my $400 CL on my original post. My total CL is $3,200 between the 4 cards.

Valued Contributor
rckstrscott

BackInTheSaddleAgain wrote:

Thanks. By the way, I don't need to carry a balance. I am only doing so as an attempt to maximze my scores. So you think a 4 or 5% utilization on one card is the key? Makes sense to me I guess. Unless 2 or 3% would be better. Regardless, putting the proper balance on my oldest card makes sense too (CapOne). Also, I left out my $400 CL on my original post. My total CL is $3,200 between the 4 cards.

My personal experience, I get the best score from having all cards show 0, and one showing a sub 9 percent balance

-scott

Starting FICO Score: 10/10: TU 498 | EQ: 502 Current FICO Score(lender pull): 09/14: TU: 784 | EQ: 752 | EX: 784
Collections Removed: Hunter Warfield, CBE Group, Merchants Credit Guide, EOS-CCA, Enhanced Recovery, Portfolio Recovery, UCB, American Collection Company, Medical Business Bureau, Jefferson Capital, Credit Portfolio Associates, FCO, LVNV, Convergent, Armor Systems
Other Negative Entries Removed:Plains Commerce CO, HSBC CO, 2008 Judgment Santander Reposession

Positive Accounts:10/10: 0 | 07/12: 6 | Mortgage Closed 5/12, Macy's AMEX $13900, Citi/Home Depot $8500, Capital One Cash Rewards $3500, BOA $7500 Total Utilization: 3%. AAoA: 2yr, 9mth. INQS: 1 TU, 1 EQ, 3 EX
Valued Contributor
dodfire

I am not sure how accurate the "FICO Simulators" Are but when I have played with them if you drop below 2% you see a much less possible increase in your score. I had very small balances on several of my cards keeping them all around 3-5%...I then paid them all off with the exception of one card...left it around 10% UTL just for that card...and my TOTAL UTL was about 3% I got an increase of 12 points just for moving the money to the one card.

Just play around with it a bit and see what works for you.

*8/10/13
Established Contributor
Crossdivided

dodfire wrote:

I am not sure how accurate the "FICO Simulators" Are but when I have played with them if you drop below 2% you see a much less possible increase in your score. I had very small balances on several of my cards keeping them all around 3-5%...I then paid them all off with the exception of one card...left it around 10% UTL just for that card...and my TOTAL UTL was about 3% I got an increase of 12 points just for moving the money to the one card.

Just play around with it a bit and see what works for you.

Not Very. Really a better tool to determine "bad move" vs "good move" in my opinion. I wouldnt base mortage qualification date projections on it or anything like that.

Frequent Contributor
js0319

+1 

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $22.8k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $10k I NFCU CashRewads Visa Signature - $10k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Citi Double Cash - $3.6k I Capital One Quicksilver One - $750 I NFCU CLOC - $15k

EQ FICO - 672 (11/26/14) I TU FICO - 670 (11/26/14) I EX FICO - 699 (11/26/14)
Regular Contributor
BackInTheSaddleAgain

Thank You everyone. Based on your input, I think I will try the following formula next:

• CapOne:    $1,500 / $50 = (3%)
  • Merrick:      $750 / $25 = (3%)
  • CreditOne: $550 / $0 = (0%)
  • Walmart:    $400 / $0 - (0%)

TOTAL Utilization = 6%

Any other advise or input is GREALTY appreciated.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}