cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obtaining credit after updating a California Tax Lien as PAID/RELEASED.

tag
bodybuilder510
Regular Contributor

Obtaining credit after updating a California Tax Lien as PAID/RELEASED.

Hi, I'm new to MyFico and I would like to know if anyone on here has had a experience with a paid tax lien and the difficulty of obtaining "prime" cards. I have a decent credit file with one negative being a California Paid tax lien that has no way of being removed. Thank you for all responses. I plan on applying for a chase freedom this summer and like some experience on that and what cards not to apply for with a PAID tax lien.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
ando35
Frequent Contributor

Re: Obtaining credit after updating a California Tax Lien as PAID/RELEASED.

I had a NY state lien for being late on a 400 tax bill. I wrote them and they said that they would list it as "satisfied" which they did. After that, TU dropped it but Equifax did not. I actually was surprised that TU did, because I don;t think they "had" to. Anyways, it is still on EQ which is what 80% of people look at when they check your credit. What is your score? I think you can get good credit cards at about 680 and awesome deals at 700.

Message 2 of 9
bodybuilder510
Regular Contributor

I am currently around mid to high 600's across the board. I'm probably going to need to call for reconsideration on most of the approvals. It's been on file since 2011 and paid last month on February. Did you have any denials due to tax lien and called to recon? Any instant approvals with paid lien on file? All three are showing paid on mine.

Message 3 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Welcome to the forums !

Can you share a little more information ~ what credit cards do you currently have open, and what are their limits, and how long have they been open ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 9
bodybuilder510
Regular Contributor

I have two Capital One Cards, one secured at $201 limit and one unsecured at $500 limit, both with 0 balance. I have a kay jewelers account at 1500 limit and a Buckle store card at 250 limit. I have a 47 balance on kays. The capitol one secured has 10 months and rest are around 6 months. I have a auto loan from wells fargo since 2008 with excellent payment history. This will be paid off in june of this year.

Message 5 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I would recommend gardening with your current cards for at least another 6 months ~ you likely won't get much CLI luv from Cap1, so at that point you might consider looking at opening GECRB store cards, they are fairly good with CLIs most of the time.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 9
virgo
Established Contributor

Hello,

The IRS has a new program in place. You can get your lien completely removed, especially if it has been paid.

Call them for the info or go on the state portal. All the info is there.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Message 7 of 9
bodybuilder510
Regular Contributor

Sorry, its a California lien. Not IRS.
Message 8 of 9
virgo
Established Contributor

Check pi SB 228. California's FTB appears to be doing the same thing.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.