Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Issue with a 'missing' account

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Odd Issue with a 'missing' account

Hey all. I'm working on rebuilding my credit, paying off old collections, etc., and I have a weird issue with a paid-off account. I'll attempt long story short: I had a car loan through Nuvelle, subserviced through Ally. The account WAS being reported to the credit agencies, but I can't remember if it was all of them or not. In any event, an incorrect 30 day late showed up on my reports. I sent a correction/dispute request, and instead of the 30 day late being removed, the ENTIRE account was removed. I called Nuvelle and explained it to them, and all they could say was that it was being reported to the credit bureaus, therefore should have still been on the report. During this time I was working full time and in the process of completing my Bachelor's full time, and sort of 'forgot' about the issue. The account was paid in full in November of 2011 when I sold the vehicle. I have the letter from the original creditor I received after showing the account and its paid off status. Since I am trying to repair my credit, it was my hope that the paid off account would reflect positively. Should I make an attempt to get the credit agencies to put the paid off account back on my report? My thought was to make copies of the paid off letter and mail it to them with a short explanation of the issue. Do you think this is a good possibility? Would it actually reflect positively, given I have very few paid off accounts? Or since it's been so long, should I just let it go? My other concern is if the incorrect 30 day late is on there, if it would still be if they corrected it, and I would have no recourse to have it corrected, or have to fight it and have my score go lower rather than higher. Thanks to anyone who read all my blathering, and I appreciate any help!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Odd Issue with a 'missing' account

Unfortunately it's common to have an entire account deleted even if you dispute an old late. It's one of the many risks of disputing. It's the creditor that's reporting it, or so they think. You'd have to keep bugging them, but there's no legal requirement for them to re-report. The CRA can't add it back on since they physically have to have a creditor report to them.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Odd Issue with a 'missing' account

That was my worry and assumption, since it's paid off, there's nothing to actually report at this point. Thanks for the response!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.