Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Question-Texas Debt collector

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Odd Question-Texas Debt collector

So, I have a debt (I'm in Texas) that I asked for validation for, and they didn't respond, only updated my credit report remarks to state "Customer disputes" and  "Account info disputed by consumer, meets FCRA requirements".  Its been a month and a half. So, I was looking up whether I should send ANOTHER validation letter or how to progress from here when I came across the Texas Financial Code threads.  So I went to look up if this particular creditor is listed thru the State of Texas as a licenced debt collector.  Technically they ARE, but under a different name.  They are collecting as "Collection Resoures" when the license was under "Dona Ana Collection".  

Does this matter at all?  How should I progress from here?  Thank you!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Odd Question-Texas Debt collector

@Anonymous wrote:

So, I have a debt (I'm in Texas) that I asked for validation for, and they didn't respond, only updated my credit report remarks to state "Customer disputes" and  "Account info disputed by consumer, meets FCRA requirements".  Its been a month and a half. So, I was looking up whether I should send ANOTHER validation letter or how to progress from here when I came across the Texas Financial Code threads.  So I went to look up if this particular creditor is listed thru the State of Texas as a licenced debt collector.  Technically they ARE, but under a different name.  They are collecting as "Collection Resoures" when the license was under "Dona Ana Collection".  

Does this matter at all?  How should I progress from here?  Thank you!

As is typical of many CAs, they treated your DV as a Dispute under FCRA. This is quite common these days.

You need to be specific in your DV - state that you are requesting validation under Texas Financial Code (cite the exact codes), and do not mention FCRA and do NOT state that you are disputing ANYTHING at all. It needs to be crystal clear that you are requesting a Texas DV.  If your original DV did cite TFC specifically, then you need to send a second letter informing them that they are in violation of TFC by failing to respond within thirty days, and for failing to delete their reporting while not providing validation.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.