Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd charge off showing

tag
wwinter
Contributor

Odd charge off showing

Hi everyone.  Thanks in advance.  I noticed on my Experian report a charge off from an account opened in 10/1993 and reported on 7/30/2004.  The amount is for $860 and the CA is RBN-Fields.  For the absolute life of me I cannot figure out what that's about.  I've looked at all the available info on the Experian site as well as www.sortatruecredit.com but can't get any info on who the original creditor was.

My questions are these.  Given it's past the 7 year threshold shouldn't this thing have fallen off my Experian report by now?  It doesn't show up on either of my other two reports.

Would it be worthwhile to dispute this on some level?  I know it's showing as "purchased by another lender" and that more often than not those other "lenders" do have the paperwork they need to back up the alleged debt in court.  That is especially true of older accounts such as this one.

But since it's past the 7 year threshold I wonder if there isn't some sort of standardized letter I can send Experian pointing out that this is reporting past the legally allowable date.

Also, just occurs to me I have another question.  My wife filed Ch. 7 BK that is showing a date of February 2005.  When will that drop off her report?  Is it 7 or 10 years?  She filed in CO if that makes any difference.

Thoughts?  Again, the wisdom and experience of everyone here is very much appreciated.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
wwinter
Contributor

Re: Odd charge off showing

Additionally, I notice it is showing up twice with the same account # on my Experian report.  Even if I can't get it completely deleted yet can I at least request Experian remove the duplicate entry?  Will that have any practical benefit to my FICO score?

Thanks again.

Message 2 of 10
hoping2rebuild
Established Contributor

@wwinter wrote:

My questions are these.  Given it's past the 7 year threshold shouldn't this thing have fallen off my Experian report by now?  It doesn't show up on either of my other two reports.  The CRTP is 7 to 7.5 years so it should drop off pretty soon on it's own

Would it be worthwhile to dispute this on some level?  I know it's showing as "purchased by another lender" and that more often than not those other "lenders" do have the paperwork they need to back up the alleged debt in court.  That is especially true of older accounts such as this one. What is your SOL? if you are past SOL then you can it beat it in court using that defense

But since it's past the 7 year threshold I wonder if there isn't some sort of standardized letter I can send Experian pointing out that this is reporting past the legally allowable date.

Also, just occurs to me I have another question.  My wife filed Ch. 7 BK that is showing a date of February 2005.  When will that drop off her report?  Is it 7 or 10 years?  She filed in CO if that makes any difference. Not sure on that one Smiley Sad hopefully a MOD can chime in

Thoughts?  Again, the wisdom and experience of everyone here is very much appreciated.

Starting Score: 377EQ/350EX/400TU As of 11/2011
Current Score: 620EQ/614EX/612TU As of 01/2013
Goal Score: 700+ across the boards
Message 3 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@wwinter wrote:

My wife filed Ch. 7 BK that is showing a date of February 2005.  When will that drop off her report?  Is it 7 or 10 years?  She filed in CO if that makes any difference.

Ch 7 BK's report for 10 years after filing date.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 10
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Was 07/2004 the date of the charge off?

It can report up to 7.5 yrs from date of delinquency.  It SHOULD be falling off no later than 01/2012 IF the charge off date was 07/2004.

If you can, wait and see what happens in 01/2012.   

And, if you haven't received a letter from the CA, then send them the DV letter first.

Message 5 of 10
wwinter
Contributor

It's for an account that was opened in 1993 and closed in 1994.  It's showing as "reported" on 7/30/2004.  It further states it was purchased by another lender.  That's about all the info I have on it for now.  It also shows on my EX report that it's due to stay on my report until 7/2014.  I just went to the EX site and downloaded my credit report.

Message 6 of 10
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Thats pretty crazy - i would be sending DV like crazy - it shouldnt be on your CR - the DOFD is all that matters here .... i believe....

I may be wrong, but just because a debt is new to another CA doesnt mean that it can stay on your CR for 7 years since they got it..... especially considering some would never fall off then.... 

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 7 of 10
wwinter
Contributor

Lastly, I figured out it was for a Macys / Marshall Fields card.  Here's the thing.  I have never had a Macys / Marshall Fields card.  My then girl friend, now wife, had a Macys card that was discharged in her Ch. 7 BK in 2004.  That is my only even indirect link to Macys / Marshall Fields.  Should I maybe dispute it?  I'm confused about the date it's due to drop off.  If it's Jan or Feb of 2012 then I'll just ride it out.  If it's 7/2014 then maybe I need to dispute this one?  Thanks again.

Message 8 of 10
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Okay - were you an AU on her card? i would dispute it as not mine

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 9 of 10
wwinter
Contributor

I was not an AU on her account.  It was in her name only.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.