cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odds of approval joint Discover w/ Collections?

tag
Kevin7180
Established Member

Odds of approval joint Discover w/ Collections?

Hey all,

Just started to seriously work on my wife's credit score / history. . I just ran her report on here, and she has 635 TU, 615, EQ.

All of our financing is in my name only. Car, house, cc's etc. I'm sitting at 750+ TU, 785 EQ. She has no debt, except a small student loan, which has helped her length of history.  What's hurting her is she was victim of identiy theft. During college she had two small dept store cc accounts opened in her name that wasn't here's. There are also many colllections.

I'd like to get a CC as a joint account to help esablish some revolving credit. She's never had a cc. We both make decent incomes. I'd like to use my pre approval letter from discover and get one with her. Would I have any problems getting approved with her having 5 collections or should I work on getting things cleaned up first before applying even though I'm on it as well? Would it help to add her as a authorized user to one of my esablished cards as well?

My goal is to have her finance a new car in 36 months in her name only.

Also would like some tips on removing collections. I've never personally had to deal with one before.

Thanks again.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Odds of approval joint Discover w/ Collections?

RE: Collections - look into PFD (Pay for Delete) in the stickies and the threads here among other topics.  You can probably get the identity theft ones cleared up too, but I'll let someone with more experience answer that one (DV letters, etc ad naseum).  

That said, you want to approach things from both directions at once: cleaning up the reports but also establishing new positive tradelines; 36 months is a long time, but start now.  I would think that any co-signed credit card application would probably overlook the negatives on her report with yours, since you're both jointly responsible for the debt and the assumption is someone with your lofty scores is a sure bet.  Worth a call to their CSR anyway.

Add her as an AU to an established card absolutely, it's probably clean in your case (but just make sure), with a low utilization reported each month, and that's been open for a while.  It'll help in this instance.

Beyond the Discover More, get her one or probably two (slightly better than one we think) more random cards, secured, unsecured, doesn't matter, you're just trying to establish payment history and the AU doesn't fully count in all situations.

        
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Odds of approval joint Discover w/ Collections?

Have you taken action under the identity theft provisions of the FCRA to address the identity theft items?

All it takes is a police report to get them blocked from her credit report.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.