cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh! How cute! Our 6yo daughter received her first collection notice.

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Oh! How cute! Our 6yo daughter received her first collection notice.

It was our fault. Never ever take your kids' friend(s) to the library to check out a book under your child's account. We did just that and they still have the overdue book and never returned it. Consequently, a CA called Unique sent a dunning letter and that came yesterday.

I instructed DW to go to the library to offer to PIF and then I will mail out a DV to Unique sometime next week and await a response. Should be a non-issue by then. However I did read a recent post in here that Unique does report to the CRAs. The letter was addressed to "the parent or guardian of DD", rather than DD, DW, or llecs.

Any other options to take?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Oh! How cute! Our 6yo daughter received her first collection notice.

Can this be reported on her reports this early???....I don't think so...I think you or your wife need to be keeping track of your reports...it might come on whoever was listed as the parent....just like with hospital bills...
Message 2 of 6
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

unique will report to TU and EX. be very careful talking with the library.

5 years ago.
MY daughter 18yrs old between hs and college took out 4books with my card.I returned them a few months later,after hours.I thought i paid them but cant find the receipt,was very sick then, i have lupus and fibromylgia--sometime i have brainfog.

May 08 found unique on TU and EX.Called the library ask pif for delete,they said "Yes i will clear it with unique."Went and paid $40 fine plus $20 for collections fee.After i paid, i said "You will delete this,right." she replied "No it will be marked paid".(Should have had this in writing.)

Try to make this shorter.

Mailed a letter to the director of the library.
She replied she talked with their representive for collections-they talked with unique.
(Kind of like the hen talking with the fox)
Also said the three CRAs are in the progress of making a deal with unique.
That is after you pif,collection will be deleted from CR after 1yr.

I talked with unique and TU and EX last wk---they said they never heard of that.Smiley Sad
MY CR said to drop in feb 2010 now EX said may 2011.

Let us know, how this works out for you.Maybe since you are doing this right away, your outcome will be different. GOOD LUCK! Smiley Happy
FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

LIGHTNIN, in your case...you need to file a dispute for re-aging...send copies of both reports...showing the difference...
Message 4 of 6
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

OH BTW, when i paid at the library, they gave me a plain receipt.
Only had my name,amount,person reciving the money and said for collection acct.

Did not have the library name on it.

I was thinking since i paid the orginal creditor.
I will mail the receipt to TU and EX and tell them i paid the library.
And ask if they would delete Unique collections.

I didn't DV Unique collection.(I know should have done that 1st)
Trying to figure out what to do.

Let me know how your DV works out for you.

slyhouse08
went back and found my 2006 CR.will be sending TU and EX a copy.
Thank you

Message Edited by LIGHTNIN on 05-28-2008 12:36 PM
FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

LIGHTNIN wrote:
OH BTW, when i paid at the library, they gave me a plain receipt......

Did not have the library name on it.

Good point. I remember your post or someone's recent post about Unique and their experience. DW and I are not taking this lightly. I don't know if DW's SSN is linked to DD's SSN, or if even she gave it out. Don't have a library card myself. We are waiting 7 days to send out the DV so as to let the payment sink in with the library and the CA (assuming they communicate). Payment is being made today.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.