Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oh Midland, Midland, Midland.......

tag
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Re: Oh Midland, Midland, Midland.......

Anyone who received success in this topic, care to share the story?

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 11 of 23
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

Yes I would like to know as well. Midland company policy is not to release the letter of payment until the payment is paid. But the wording on it is troubling. If PIF it will be updated as paid no memo. But if I pay the reduced amount (40% of original) they send a letter stating balanced paid but with a memo saying partial payment.

This has the value of ZERO in my estimation. What is the benefit of paying them anything when they won't delete the baddie from my file? They get paid and I am stuck with the CA dragging down my score. 

So what should I do now?

Contact T-Mobile and PIF for Delete?

Send a letter to CFPB?

Send a DV?

All three?

Message 12 of 23
Shiva78
Contributor

CFPB won't do any good unless they have violated some laws.  I just did a CFPB

The trick is to keep pressing payment for complete deletion until they give in.

Check the DOFD with the OC and the DOFD that Midland reports very carefully.  In my case the OC charged off the acct in 2006 and Midlland is report the DOFD at 2008. 

Message 13 of 23
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

@Shiva78 wrote:

CFPB won't do any good unless they have violated some laws.  I just did a CFPB

The trick is to keep pressing payment for complete deletion until they give in.

Check the DOFD with the OC and the DOFD that Midland reports very carefully.  In my case the OC charged off the acct in 2006 and Midlland is report the DOFD at 2008. 

How do you keep pressing? I am not sure I understand. I already agreed to pay the reduced amount . What I trying to prevent is a fruitless jesture, I see no reason to pay any amount of it will keep dragging down my score no matter how it's reported.

So do I threaten not to pay it without deletion? And keep pestering them until they do? Do you recommend daily callings or what? Has this proven to work? If so what worked for you if I may ask? 

Message 14 of 23
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I posted a thread about a buddy that is having dealings with Midland. I've never dealt with the company is this is the first time that I've heard of them. I gave him a few suggestions (goodwill letter and pay for delete). He ended up calling them today to see what they'd say. He was told that they would note the account as paid but they won't delete it from his reports.

We both agree that it's not worth paying if they aren't going to delete it. I believe he owes them about $1200. I came across this thread as I'm researching what he should do. Based on some of the things that I've read, they don't like to work with people. You would think they would be happy to get the full amount and just wipe the negative reporting out to do that.  

I guess if they are going to hold firm and not delete it, he can probably settle the dept for less. Maybe $500?

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 15 of 23
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

I've read a few people have got them to delete with pestering. The bought the debt for pennies, so that's why they don't mind taking upwards of a 40% cut just so you'll pay it and say they are giving you a break/deal.

Officially things like this are not supposed to be removed if true. That said, some of these companies will work with you (PIF). For now I will start pestering them and send a good will letter next week to see what happens. In the meantime, two other collections, one paid and the other not paid will fall off next year as both are from July 2008. If Midland doesn't want to play ball, it's the newest reported in 2012 which is likely when the bought the delinquent account from TMO (T-Mobile). 

For now I will just focus on getting my credit cards to start building trade lines since I have none currently and after July we'll see where I stand and make my next move. 

Message 16 of 23
cflowers0115
Regular Contributor

I was successful with them by contacting the State Attorney General in CA (their home state) they were incorrectly reporting my debt with new "missed payments" each month treating it like a line of credit I defaulted on.. BBB.. CFPB.. they didn't do a single solitary thing. The second I submitted through the Attorney General, they "made a business decision to delete the tradeline". 

Starting Scores: 8/13/18: EQ: 556 TU: 521 EX: 544
Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@cflowers0115 wrote:

I was successful with them by contacting the State Attorney General in CA (their home state) they were incorrectly reporting my debt with new "missed payments" each month treating it like a line of credit I defaulted on.. BBB.. CFPB.. they didn't do a single solitary thing. The second I submitted through the Attorney General, they "made a business decision to delete the tradeline". 

I know this is an old post. But unfotunately I am having this same problem you described. Did you contact the State Attorney General in CA by phone or mail?

Message 18 of 23
srchick
Regular Contributor

When I contacted the CA Atty General re Asset Acceptance, I sent a regular letter "snail mail", and received a response rather quickly.  This would be my suggested followup method.

Starting Score Feb. 2013: 568
Current Scores: TU (715) {Myfico} EQ {Myfico} (723) EX (751)
Goal Scores: All at 750 by 3rd Qtr 2016 (Before tackling 800's) Don't procrastinate, take the first step!
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@srchick wrote:

When I contacted the CA Atty General re Asset Acceptance, I sent a regular letter "snail mail", and received a response rather quickly.  This would be my suggested followup method.

Thanks! One more question. Did you provide any documentation with the letter?

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.