cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ok what's my next step? please help- confused!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok what's my next step? please help- confused!

I sent out GW letters for more recent lates on our credit reports.  Ok but on the credit reports it shows a section called negative accounts. they are accounts that were paid in full thru when we went thru consumer credit counsuling.  They show a bunch of 30, 60, 90 day lates within the last year and go back a couple of years.

One is an auto loan and the rest are regular credit cards. How do I get those off my husbands report? They are all closed accounts.  Do I try and gw those lates too or how do I go about getting those off the report. I would like the whole accounts off the report. Any guidence is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ok what's my next step? please help- confused!

cattracks wrote:
Ok so I could send a GW letter to get those lates removed to the credit card places OR I could see if they could delete those accounts from the credit reports?  Is that right? A GW letter could do either things?

Yes, you can ask for either in your GW letter.

However, be aware that when you are dealing with accounts reported by the OC, you'll be losing the good with the bad when you remove the entire account, including the age of the accounts.

Message 6 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't really understand the SOL- it goes by what date? I am so confused here. So even thou the accounts are paid and closed they still have to stay on the credit report for how long? I live in MN if that makes a difference on SOL. I just want those bad account gone.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

can anybody help me? Hello? anyone still awake?

Message 3 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I'll start with the SOL.  There are 2 SOL's, one is for how long an account can stay on your report.  It goes by the DOFD and that comes from the OC and can not be changed. Items come off your report 7 - 7.5 years from the DOFD.  This is a federally mandated SOL.   If an account is sold 20 times it will not change the DOFD.

The other SOL is the timeframe some one can sue you in.  This SOL is determined by the states.  Different states have different laws and it would be a good idea to know your state laws.  Depending on the state, many things could restart this SOL.  Making a payment, verbal ackowledgement of the debt, writing a check with your name on it to make a payment, payment arrangements could all effectively restart the suing SOL.

Negative accounts come off 7 - 7.5 years after the DOFD.  If these are all paid about the only thing you can do is send a GW letter to the company responsible for the account.

Just because an account was paid in full does not mean it will come off your credit report.  It is allowed to remain the entire 7 years. 

Message Edited by guiness56 on 04-23-2009 08:29 PM
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so I could send a GW letter to get those lates removed to the credit card places OR I could see if they could delete those accounts from the credit reports?  Is that right? A GW letter could do either things?
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

cattracks wrote:

Yes, you can ask for either in your GW letter.

However, be aware that when you are dealing with accounts reported by the OC, you'll be losing the good with the bad when you remove the entire account, including the age of the accounts.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm having exactly the same problem with CC's I paid off through consumer credit counseling. I'm showing 1-2 YEARS of late payments being made every single month on 3 of the 5 cards I paid off with CCCA. I made my payments by automatic withdrawal to CCCA and they disbursed the funds. Over 4.5 years I only missed one payment. They were all PIF as of April 2008. I only recently became aware that these accounts were reported as late to all 3 CRAs.

My understanding is that the thing to do is contact your consumer credit counseling service. What to do at that point, I'm really not sure. Perhaps get them to work with the CC companies to agree to delete the lates from your CRs I guess?

I mean, the whole point of going through Credit Counseling is to increase your score and pay off in a timely manner. They clearly dropped the ball here and hopefully they'll work with me (and you too) to get things rectified.

Very frustrating!!!

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

FYI - I did contact the CC companies already hoping to see if they'd work with me on the lates that came late from CCCA.

The CC companies said it was my fault, my account, and to talk to CCCA if I wanted anything solved.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

glad I am not the only one in this boat. I think I will try and GW them away. Same here- CCC took the payments right out of my bank account twice a month and made the payments for me.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.