cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Okay, good year. What's the Garden Club?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, good year. What's the Garden Club?

So brief synopsis. Last year I was in the 530-540 club.  Obtained a $300 Secured from USAA after being declined by BOA for a secured card believe it or not. Have paid off several baddies totalling $10K including medicals and had approx 9 collections/charge offs removed. Got NFCU for $6K in Sept, then increased to $8K in Nov, as well as $6K NavCheck and $4k Installment Loan. Also got $1K Barclay's in Sept. Refinanced my house last month at 3.6% when they wouldn't talk to me a year ago, Just yesterday got $5K from BOA Visa Sig. in the branch office. Pushed my luck today with Chase and was declined for Sapphire, but did get Freedom for a measly $500 and additional inquiry. I'm not complaining considering it is Chase and a chance to grow. Hopefully they will auto CLI after 6 months. Thought about apping Discover but chickened out.

Chase interrogated me about the gap in my revolving credit from 2004 until now. I just told them that I have been using cash since then and that I had a bad patch from 2004 to 2013 due to being unemployed for a year in 2003 with several late payments. Perhaps honesty is brutal and doesn't pay, but I figured there really was no point in lying about the time period.

I think it is time to lay low for some time. You guys have a garden club which I deduct is a group of folks who are taking their new credit and growing it for better scores, as well as waiting for the inquiry hits to dissipate. I think I want to get in on this garden club action. I really think that by laying low for a year, I can get the almighty CSP from Chase next year. I would like some tips on what to do between now and then other than "paying on time". Are there amounts I should charge in order to optimize points, etc, etc...??? BTW, I was avg. 680 prior to the Chase apps today. The BOA apps yesterday cost me 5 pts, yes FICO scores. I really don't see the need for store cards such as Lowes / Home Depot. I assume now it is charge on all of them and PIF before the statement close.

I realize 680 is not great, but I am so thankful to be there as opposed to where I came from a little over a year ago. I'll take it any day but still strive to make it better. Many of you have PM'd me over the last few months offering advice and I appreciate it since it has obviously paid great dividends. So someone please tell me more about the "Garden Club"

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Okay, good year. What's the Garden Club?

Amazed you couldn't find it.

Credit card forum (they start a new thread every month).

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/December-2014-Garden-Thread/td-p/3669173/jump-to/first-...
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 3
BUN
Established Contributor

Re: Okay, good year. What's the Garden Club?

Great rebuild! I'll see you in the garden! Smiley Happy BTW 680 is considered good!

Starting Score : 575 May, 2013
Current Scores: EQ 716 6 INQ TU 745 4 INQ EX 726 3 INQ Last INQ December 2015, In the GC until Jan 2017.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.