Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Okay, still new at this and need help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, still new at this and need help!

So, I'm looking at the report and saw this...  When my wife was an AU on her grandfathers account he passed away.  She then applied to have the account in her name and was granted that.  But, now, this seems to look like it isn't good.  Does the balance that it shows count towards utilization?  And does the comment "cancelled by credit grantor" mess things up also?  As always, thanks in advance...

AMEX

Old - 09/18/2010
New - 09/20/2010
Comparison
Account No.:

Condition:ClosedClosed
Balance:$1,304$1,304
Type:Credit CardCredit Card
Pay Status:CurrentCurrent
Past Due:$0$0
High Balance:$2,953$2,953
Terms:------
Limit:$20,800$20,800
Payment:$0$0
Opened:10/17/200610/17/2006
Reported:05/14/200805/14/2008
Responsibility:TerminatedTerminated
Remarks:Canceled by credit grantor
Canceled by credit grantor
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Okay, still new at this and need help!

Both the balance and the CL counts towards utilization. Once TU updates it to $0, then both the balance and the CL are removed from utilization as is the mix, I believe. If your (your wife's) utilization outside of this CC is higher than 6.3% (amount on this CC) to 9%, then I wouldn't touch it, even if it reported incorrectly...assuming there were no lates. Now if lates are being added because nobody is paying on it, then I would bail.

The "closed by creditor" doesn't hurt any.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to MyFico, her utilization is at 97% right now.  She only has 3 other cards that total a CL of 5700.  With this balance included, her total owed is about 5500.  So this is what doesn't make sense to me.

Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Back-pedalling....I guess it doesn't count into utilization. The $5500/$5700 equals the 97%. Is there any red flag next to the TL in the myFICO report on the Accounts page?

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is no red flag.  Just to be clear as well, the 5500 is *with* this AMEX account.  We have just secured her anouther $2500 in CLI's that haven't hit yet.  That on top of paying down 1500 on the credit union card will make that go down.  But I'm wondering who I should contact to get this "owed" off.  Just numbers wise tells me that getting that to a 0 balance with help even more with the utilization.  Am I wrong?

Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I missed that part.

TrueCredit (in your first post) is reporting a $1304 balance, not $5500. Did your DW's TU FICO report recently update to a new balance of $5500 after posting the above?

And to claify, that TU FICO report shows a util of 97% on the second page?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.