Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Amex - Account closed at credit grantor's request

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old Amex - Account closed at credit grantor's request

I had a Costco Amex back between 3/2009 and 3/2010 and had a SL of 2k. 

I used it for everything and baiscally only paid a few hundred, just so i could keep using it (my poor credit days)

One day in Feb 2010 I paid it all off, all 1750,  as I wanted to use it for a work trip, hotel, airline etc.

I took my cash advance for the work trip and paid it off...

A few days later I went to get gas at a costco (it was a costco amex) and the card didnt work...

Called Amex and was confused as it had a zero balance...

"Your card has been closed"

I never paid late, never missed any payments...

I was missing and/or late on chase/BofA at the time though...

Looking back I'm guessing they saw my other cards, and said "He's paid us off, close it before he misses payments with Us {Amex}"

Looking at my CR today, it hows the card was "Account closed at credit grantor's request."

No lates, no missed, no overlimit. 

Reports "Paid, Closed/Never late."

I filed CH13 in March 2012, amex was not included as I did not have a card with them.

I was discharged from ch13 4 years later in March 2015 (Paid 100%).

Rebuild is doing good, but I want my Amex back in a few months as my current cards age and build history, scores are approaching 680, hoping for 700 by June/July 2017.

Will Amex hold this against me?

I cant seem to find anything in the fico forum referencing Amex for this.

I keep an eye on my Experian SP's, but so far I only see SP's when I initiate a pre-qualify.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

Re: Old Amex - Account closed at credit grantor's request

I was approved for a Amex ED card.  I am a little over 6 months post discharge (CH13) and although I did not IIB, I did have a significant charge off with Amex years before filing BK.  So I think it's a YMMV kinda thing with them.  My EX was in the 660 range when I applied.

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Luxeprw9 - what was your starting limit ?
Message 3 of 7
toomchz4u
Valued Member

Hope this helps you. I went thru separation and divorce from 2013-15... Many accounts got messed up and behind and I've rebuilt (and still rebuilding)... Amex was 1 of them that got charged off for $1403. Voluntarily called them up and initiated full payment in May 2016 and that was 1 of my last cards to pay off. Well happy to report that last Monday February 27th... Only 9 months after paying them I was approved for Amex green card and Everyday card with $1000 limit and i asked for an increase (by the luv button online) to 3000 and it was approved ON DAY 1!!! So yes Amex definitely has some forgiveness in them and it can happen quickly if your file and scores have improved. Experian fico was 673 at application and utilization is only 6%. GOOD LUCK!!!
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all!
Message 5 of 7
luxeprw9
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Luxeprw9 - what was your starting limit ?

My starting limit was $1,800.  So yeah, not that generous but I'm in!  And the Member Since on my card shows 2000.  I was at least, happy about that!

I'm not going to request any CLI until my BK falls off next year.  I also want a green charge card, so I'm waiting until next year to apply for that as well.  I use my card in place of my debit card and PIF before statement cuts.  

FICO Score 8 as of 07/23/18
EQ - 770
EX - 757
TU - 741
Goal: 800
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Didnt I read somewhere here that you can apply for multiple with the same pull on the same day?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.