Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old CAP1/KOHLS Charge-Off With 2 New CAP1 Accounts

tag
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Old CAP1/KOHLS Charge-Off With 2 New CAP1 Accounts

As part of my rebuilding, I now have CAP1 QS1 and CAP1 QS cards. At the same time, I have an old CAP1/Kohls charged of account that shows a balance. DO I have any options to possibly getting rid of this account before Dec 2019?

Last Update: 7/2013

DOFD: 1/2013

Removal Date: 12/2019

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Old CAP1/KOHLS Charge-Off With 2 New CAP1 Accounts

Pay them.
Message 2 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Make an offer to pay that is contingent upon their agreement to delete the reported charge-off.

However, if it is within the SOL, then you might not wish to contact them unless you are fully willing to pay the entire debt should they decide to seek a judgment.

Message 3 of 13
AutoBot
Established Contributor

It's past the SOL of 3 years here in NC.

Message 4 of 13
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Just got off the phone with Kohls CSR. Asked about the status of the account and what about a settlement. He said I could settle at 60% of the current balance today and then pay the other 40% later. I was trying to explain that if I pay 60% + 40%, it doesn't quite sound like a settlement. Smiley Wink

Eventually I hung up.

This account is listed under both Past Due(1) and Sent for Collection (1) and 134% of Credit Limit on Credit Karma so I know it's hurting my score a bit. At this point I would like to take action that is best for my score. It's past SOL, but doesn't fall off reports until 2019.

- Settle at 60% for less than full balance

- Settle in full (no way they will PFD)

- Leave alone

Message 5 of 13
huck1081
Regular Contributor

If you can pif I would before it goes to collection. I had a similar situation with cap one a year and a half ago. I did a pif and have been sending GW letters every quarter. They have yet to delete, but the at least look at the request every time, and call me to discuss it. 

Starting: EQ 501 TU 514 EX 533 (12/2014)
Current: EQ 613 TU 625 EX 615 (4/1/2016) Goal: 640 and a new home loan
Message 6 of 13
AutoBot
Established Contributor

@huck1081 wrote:

If you can pif I would before it goes to collection. I had a similar situation with cap one a year and a half ago. I did a pif and have been sending GW letters every quarter. They have yet to delete, but the at least look at the request every time, and call me to discuss it. 

After you did the PIF, did your FICO go up or down? I assume they are at least reporting the balance as $0 now?

Message 7 of 13
huck1081
Regular Contributor

@AutoBot wrote:

@huck1081 wrote:

After you did the PIF, did your FICO go up or down? I assume they are at least reporting the balance as $0 now?

$0 balance paid in full. I can't remember what it did to my score. But, more importantly it got me back in with Cap One, and a debt that I made is paid! 

Starting: EQ 501 TU 514 EX 533 (12/2014)
Current: EQ 613 TU 625 EX 615 (4/1/2016) Goal: 640 and a new home loan
Message 8 of 13
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Well that is good. I am already back with CAP1 just need to deal with this old one. Smiley Indifferent

Message 9 of 13
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Planning on calling again this morning to solicit a settlement offer that will eventually end up in them reporting a $0 balance.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.