cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Charge-offs - not reporting on Credit Report - Should I pay?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old Charge-offs - not reporting on Credit Report - Should I pay?

Question . . . and yes it's one of morality verses credit stability.  Smiley Happy

Back in the late 90's, I got myself in trouble with some charge-offs, all on store credit cards, such as Lowe's, Sears, Express, and one Verizon wireless account totaling about $2,000.  Due to money and family issues, I never paid these accounts.  They were eventually charged off and no longer show on my credit report, however, I still get collection companies calling me and harassing me along with letters in the mail.  Should I start trying to pay these collection agencies back?  I'm worried because with the late fees and interest, the amount has almost doubled to $5,000.  I also have heard if you start paying these collections off, they will start reporting you to the credit bureaus and I don't want any negatives showing up on my credit report when I've done so well paying everything for the past decade.  Thoughts?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
moondog7324
Frequent Contributor

Re: Old Charge-offs - not reporting on Credit Report - Should I pay?

In your case I would not paid unless ordered by a court. Find your State's SOL on these debts, and if they beyond that either send a FOAD letter to the collection agencies or ignore them.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They can not legally report ever again-- whether you begin paying or not.

However, at this point I would only pay if you can PIF. You don't want to reset SOL and get sued. The judgment CAN report.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great advice - thank you all.  I think the Ohio SOL is 7 years, but I'll have to double-check.  Pardon my ingorance as I'm still figuring out all the acronyms - what is a FOAD letter?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bumping as I'm still curious what an FOAD letter is and to get more general thoughts?  Thanks.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll tell you that the OAD part of FOAD stands for Off And Die. I'll let you guess what the F stands for Smiley Wink
Message Edited by Mank on 04-08-2009 02:34 PM
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

OMG - I'm so embarrassed.  Sheesh - someone should add that to the acronym list because it's not on there!!  hehe!!
Message 7 of 8
nothingman02
Valued Contributor

Actually, please construe the FOAD as a C&D letter.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.