Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Collection Account with Verizon

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old Collection Account with Verizon

Hi All!

So about 6 years ago to the day, I missed my first payment with Verizon on a $130 bill. Long story short, this bill was later sent to collections, at which point, I paid in full. This has been the only ding on my record for quite some time, and I am anxious to get it removed. I know the general rule is that these type of collection accounts fall off your report in 7-7.5 years, but I have seen people ask the credit bereaus for an early deletion, how far in advance does this typically work? Also does anyone think its worth it to try goodwilling Verizon for removal? I have seen very limited success, beyond going to extreme measures like litigation.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Old Collection Account with Verizon

Is the reporting by Verizon, or by a debt collector?

Who has reported, and what did they report?

Getting the furnsiher, be they the OC or a debt collector, to delete is preferable to exclusion by the CRA.

CRA exclusion does not delete the information from your credit file, it prevents the CRA from including it in normal credit reports they issue.

They can still be included in requests for full factual credit reports.

Deletion  by the furnisher removes it from both your crediit file and any credit reports.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does one obtain a full factual credit report?
Message 3 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
How does one obtain a full factual credit report?

You cannot obtain the report. They are sometimes done by mortgage brokers on loans exceeding 150K. They are expensive and most will not use them.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The inquiree must, in addition to the normal showing of permissible purpose, provide a certification that the report is being requested for one or the reasons set forth in FCRA 605(b).  That entitles the inquiree to a credit report that includes all of the normally exlcued sdverse items.

FCRA 609(a) applies to any consumer who wants to obtain any information of record in their credit file, which would apply to adverse items that hve become excluded from credit reprots available to others.

Under section 609(a), a consumer can request any information of record in their credit file at the time of the request.

Requests for information under section 609(a) must be accompanied by proof of the consumer's identity, and the required statutory processing fee, which is currently $11.00.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.