cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Collection Debt Listed As New

tag
DatBigDude

Old Collection Debt Listed As New

Hello all, first and foremost thank you for all the valauble information i have attained from reading through these forums as a guest since i discovered this place last month. Im currently in the position for the first time in my life that i take note and feel that my credit matters. Im 27 years old and before now have not noticed or cared much about my credit score and just carried the "its ok" mentality. But now that has changed.

Now i have an issue with my credit report. A collection agency has listed an open balance on my account from about 5 years ago. Only problem is, they listed this back in November of 2013. Im not sure if that is right, legal, or even allowed but i do know i want it gone. It was for a debt owed to Time Warner Cable. I havent had Time Warner Cable nor do i remember oweing them any money. I only say its from 5 years ago cause that is the last time i used their services.

I would i guess like some insight on what i can do to fix this, how i can go about getting this removed, corrected or reveresed. Its still listed as owed so should i send a Pay for Delete letter? should i pay it off in full? Should i fight the fact that its 5 years old? Should i be contacting the credit agencies to report that the amount is old? I guess any help or insight is appreciated. Thank you.

Starting Score: 620
Current Score: 650
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Old Collection Debt Listed As New

How is it reporting on your CR?  Does it list a DoFD or a date this will be removed?  That would give us an idea as to how old it actually is.  If you have a valid debt from Time Warner and the CA is attempting to collect, then you could try for a PFD.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 8
DatBigDude

It says placed for collection 10/2/13

Also says Estimated month item will be removed 01/20/19

Collection agency is Receivables Performance if that makes a difference.

This debt is 100% from 5+ years ago. as i have not had a Time Warner Service account since my last place of residence.

Message 3 of 8
xaiduz114
Regular Contributor

@DatBigDude wrote:

It says placed for collection 10/2/13

Also says Estimated month item will be removed 01/20/19

Collection agency is Receivables Performance if that makes a difference.

This debt is 100% from 5+ years ago. as i have not had a Time Warner Service account since my last place of residence.

According to what you said here, looks like they have the DOFD wrong or it may be an invalid debt... (Not yours, or a fraudulent one). THat's my opinion, though. If you did not have services with that company anytime after 5 years ago, then it should have been sent to collections sometime in the 6 months after that... Which it would probably fall off somewhere around the year 2016, I'm guessing. If you really don't know where this debt came from, don't assume it is yours automatically. I would say send them a Debt Validation letter, to verify it is indeed your debt, and not someone else's mistakenly put on your report, or someone attempting fraud/ID theft.

But again, that's my opinion, and there may be a better option for you given by someone else.

Starting Score: EQ 478 | EX N/A | TU 540 - 5/2014
Current Score: EQ 475 | EX 582 | TU 589
Goal Score: 700 by 5/2015 - My Credit Rebuilding Journey!
Collections (MED): DCS Financial (4) | Columbia Collectors (1) |
Dynamic Collectors, Inc (2) | Professional Credit Services (2) |
CMRE Financial Services (1) | Total: 10
Charge-offs: IQCU (1)
Cards I'm aiming to get:
Unitus Community CU SecuredBofA Secured
Message 4 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, this would have the debt occurring sometime in 2012.  If this is not yours, there are steps to get rid of this.  First of, I'd call Time Warner and ask them if you have an unpaid debt with them, and if so, from when.  Then we can go from there.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 8
DatBigDude

Ok so i know its my old debt now. I spoke to my old girlfriend from the time and she remembered not paying our last bill when we were switching providers. This was def 4 years ago or so. But the collection was just listed now. Should i go with the debt verification route?

Message 6 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@DatBigDude wrote:

Ok so i know its my old debt now. I spoke to my old girlfriend from the time and she remembered not paying our last bill when we were switching providers. This was def 4 years ago or so. But the collection was just listed now. Should i go with the debt verification route?

I would DV the CA and if it sticks then I would contact the OC ask them to pull back the collection and pay them directly in full.

Message 7 of 8
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Hello,

If all else fails, RPM does do PFDs! 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.