Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old Collections

I have 3 medical bills in collections on my report from 2012 & 2013. i contacted the two debt collectors they are with to see if i paid them if they would remove them from my report. They said they would not that they would mark it as paid in full. My question is will it help my score or hurt it if i pay these things off and they mark paid in full. Ive heard it may be better to not even pay them but if it helps to pay them i will gladly do it.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Old Collections

How old are they? What collection agency?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are from 2012 and 2013 1 is from transfinacial in Baton Rouge the other 2 are from certified bureau in Metarie

Message 3 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 3 medical bills in collections on my report from 2012 & 2013. i contacted the two debt collectors they are with to see if i paid them if they would remove them from my report. They said they would not that they would mark it as paid in full. My question is will it help my score or hurt it if i pay these things off and they mark paid in full. Ive heard it may be better to not even pay them but if it helps to pay them i will gladly do it.

To answer your scoring question it would be no short term, when they update to paid it will look like it just happened in the eyes of Fico, over time your score will increase as it ages back in time.

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Do you happen to live in New York State?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Louisiana

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Before you do anything google the HIPAA Letter process follow it exactly as laid out.  If you have any problems finding the website or have questions PM me.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.