Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Judgement on Equifax?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old Judgement on Equifax?

I have a Judgement from 7.5+ years ago, was on my TU and Equifax.  I contacted TU and they removed it, have contacted Equifax and all they have done is verify that the judgement is mine (I already know it is).  It is also a paid judgement, however it doesn't say paid or open or balance owed or anything on the judgement when it appears on my credit report.

Even on Equifax's blog site it says 7 years...

http://blog.equifax.com/credit/faq-how-long-does-information-stay-on-my-credit-report/

Public Records

• Judgments generally remain on your credit file for seven years from the date filed, whether satisfied (paid) or not.

I want to buy a house next year so am trying to clean up my credit report as well as increase my scores.  How do I go about getting this taken off Equifax?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Old Judgement on Equifax?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a Judgement from 7.5+ years ago, was on my TU and Equifax.  I contacted TU and they removed it, have contacted Equifax and all they have done is verify that the judgement is mine (I already know it is).  It is also a paid judgement, however it doesn't say paid or open or balance owed or anything on the judgement when it appears on my credit report.

Even on Equifax's blog site it says 7 years...

http://blog.equifax.com/credit/faq-how-long-does-information-stay-on-my-credit-report/

Public Records

• Judgments generally remain on your credit file for seven years from the date filed, whether satisfied (paid) or not.

I want to buy a house next year so am trying to clean up my credit report as well as increase my scores.  How do I go about getting this taken off Equifax?

Send them a letter demanding that it be removed as its too old to continue on file, if they refuse to remove it then file a CFPB complaint against them.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Old Judgement on Equifax?

Has the judgment been satisfied?

The full statement of credit report exclusion of a judgment is not simply 7 years from date entered.

A statute of limitations on enforceability of the judgment is also a factor until it is satisfied.

"FCRA 605(a)(2)

Civil suits, civil judgments, and records of arrest that from date of entry antedate the report by more than seven years, or until the governing statute of limitations has expired, whichever is the longer period."

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.