cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Medical BIlls... How should I address?

tag
karaguy

Old Medical BIlls... How should I address?

Hi Everyone!

Again, thank you all for all the amazing advice.

I have two old medical bills from 2010.  One for the amount of $173 due to "Fredericksburg Credit Bureu" and one for $1,667 to United Consumer Inc.  Both of these accounts came from the same 6 hour visit to the ER.  Apparentely I had a lapse in my health insurance so they did not pay, and at the time I could not afford to pay it either, resulting in two collection accounts.

How would you guys suggest going about addressing these accounts?  Should I mail both to see if I can do a PFD?  Should I do a settlement and then GW both?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Old Medical BIlls... How should I address?

I would call the billing dept or whatever dept handles those accounts and see if they can recall the accounts back from the CA. If they can you pay they hospital and in return the CA must delete their TL. If the hospital can't recall the accounts then you will need to deal with the CA and then GW them or offer a PFD.

DaBears

Message 2 of 10
karaguy

Hi DaBears!

Thank you for your response.  I just called the hospital.  They said that the account with the balance of $1,667 has been assigned to the collection agency, United Consumers Inc, but they would not be able to recall it, only if they saw I did have insurance on that day and it was noted improperly.  Is there any type of letter I could send in to maybe get them to recall it regardless?

Thank you,

Message 3 of 10
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Not that I know of, try talking to a supervisor or manager. 

Message 4 of 10
karaguy

Ok - I guess my other option is to send a PFD to the collection agency?

Message 5 of 10
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Message 6 of 10
karaguy

Also - I just talked to the Fredericksburg Credit Bureu.  They woman I talked to mentioned that once the account is paid in full, they'll mark it as paid in full.  Once that's done, I can send in a letter to have it removed and they always honor them.

Should I do this?  It's a gamble...

Message 7 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@karaguy wrote:

Also - I just talked to the Fredericksburg Credit Bureu.  They woman I talked to mentioned that once the account is paid in full, they'll mark it as paid in full.  Once that's done, I can send in a letter to have it removed and they always honor them.

Should I do this?  It's a gamble...

I would.  Anything with rebuilding is actually a gamble.

Message 8 of 10
karaguy

Hi!

Thank you for your reply.  I just put a pay for delete in full letter in the mail to them.  Would you suggest waiting on a response for that first?  Here's the letter I sent:

Dear Sir/Madam:

This letter is in response to the above referenced account.  Please be aware that this is not an acknowledgment nor acceptance of responsibility for the debt.

I am willing to pay off the account in full in the amount of $173; in return I ask your company for compassion and the timely removal of this account from all credit reporting agencies upon receipt of payment.

I am looking forward to a response, from persons at Fredericksburg Credit Bureau, Inc. who hold the authority to make this decision, signed and on company letterhead. Once I receive acknowledgment and acceptance of this offer I will respond with immediate payment.

If you do not accept this offer please respond with an itemized description and details of monies owed according to the listed account.

Maybe I'll give this a week or so before I call and offer to pay and then send in a GW?

Thank you!

Message 9 of 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

That sounds good.  Yes, I would give it a week or so and see what happens.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.