Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old Utility Bill

tag
Nickkifu
Established Member

Old Utility Bill

Hi All!

I have a quick question: is there a way to see if an old utility bill was in collections and the total without calling the company?

I lived with an ex about 10 years ago and had the utilities put in my name. We split and I decided to move out but made the mistake of not making him switch the service over.

Needless to say, he did not pay and it went to collections. The utility company did not care that I was not at the residence and I refused to pay for his mistake.

Fast forwarding to the present: My husband and I are looking to bid on a home in about 2 weeks and we are planning on putting the utilities in both of our names.

Since I am assuming that the company can’t collect debt past the statute of limitations, can they refuse service?

Also, will this reset the clock on the debt if it is no longer on my credit report?

Thanks in advance!!

-N

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Old Utility Bill

My suggestion would be to call the utility company since it is past the date of reporting. While the debt can no longer be reported on your CR's it is still a valid debt. The company may purge after a certain amount of time or it may have been sold to a CA. Or it may still be sitting there with the utility company. Calling them to check will not reset any clock. Good luck.

Message 2 of 8
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Nickkifu wrote:

Hi All!

I have a quick question: is there a way to see if an old utility bill was in collections and the total without calling the company?

I lived with an ex about 10 years ago and had the utilities put in my name. We split and I decided to move out but made the mistake of not making him switch the service over.

Needless to say, he did not pay and it went to collections. The utility company did not care that I was not at the residence and I refused to pay for his mistake.

Fast forwarding to the present: My husband and I are looking to bid on a home in about 2 weeks and we are planning on putting the utilities in both of our names.

Since I am assuming that the company can’t collect debt past the statute of limitations, can they refuse service?

Also, will this reset the clock on the debt if it is no longer on my credit report?

Thanks in advance!!

-N

Yes, they can refuse service.  More than likely, they will want a deposit (hefty amount dependent on what they think the average for your home to utilize)

Best defense, provide proof of documentation you moved out new lease agreement, new utilities with starting date, etc.  See if they will take settlement based on this data.

Basic premise to all, even though it's past the statue of limitations, unless it's a medical bill for emergency services or hospitalization, they can refuse service based on past obligations.  Since I don't move much, my rent follows me.  Any late's or debts owed to past landlords, knocks me out of future rentals,  even if it's from 1990's (they made a mistake on what I owed when I moved out then, which is how i found out about this).

Signature needs updating
Message 3 of 8
Nickkifu
Established Member

If I call the company, will this appear on my credit report??

Thanks!!

Message 4 of 8
Nickkifu
Established Member

If I call the company, will this reappear on my credit report??

Thanks!

Message 5 of 8
Nickkifu
Established Member

I know it went to a CA- I recieved notices but refused to pay as I was not living there.

I guiess I'm concerned if I call them, that they will direct me to the collectins agency and it will restart the debt clock.

Message 6 of 8
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

That's the least of your concern. But if it's past 7 years since the debt went bad, then no. If you call the utilities, you are not calling the collection agency. If in collections, believe me, they would still be reporting within the 7 year time frame. Just take car of it.
Signature needs updating
Message 7 of 8
Nickkifu
Established Member

Ok great!

I'll call and get it handled.

Thanks everyone!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.