Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old charge off keeps refreshing and killing my score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old charge off keeps refreshing and killing my score

So 4 years ago my ex wife got her car repoed and i was the one who had signed for it. The debt was charged off with a last activity date of may 2010 i have not made any payments since then nor have i agreed to make any payments since then. the account is still listed as open. i have been rebuilding my credit i was in the low 700s and a couple of weeks ago i checked my score and the finance company had reported the past 24 months as being unpayed something they have not done in over 3 years this dramatically dropped my score to the mid 600s my question is this legal can the account still be open if it has been charged off? i know they can still sue because of statue of limitations but can they keep reporting every month that my payments are not being made. when i move over the month that has been reported it says past due, charge off. also can they still show a balance of over 7000 when it has been charged off. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

Re: Old charge off keeps refreshing and killing my score

Hello, and welcome.

I don't know much about repos, as I am still learning about them but the balance will still show until it's paid off. I was told that they sell the car at an auction and whatever the remaining balance it is from then is what they will report. 

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes they did repo and sell the car and i was left with the remaining balance im just very curious why they decided to report 24 months of late payments all at once after 3 years of no reporting

Message 3 of 8
eric19k
Established Contributor

Well it depends what they report.
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

well heres some more info if it helps anyone in answering my questions about 3 years ago the finance company called me looking for a vehicle my ex wifes new bf had financed and not made any payments on well i asked the lady what had happened with my deliquent account and she it had been turned over to collections and i would probably be getting a judgement in the mail well almost 3 years have past and i have heard nothing nor seen nothing so ive been rebuilding my credit and then bam they hit me with 24 months of late payments all at one time which killed my score thanks to everyone who has replied trying to help

Message 5 of 8
eric19k
Established Contributor

I believe they cannot report it as late 30 60 90 120. It should list as KD.
Well anyways they can report it and update it monthly.
I guess you should let it age off or settle with them.
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 6 of 8
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

You're better off letting it age off since you're more than halfway there. 

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

so i done some digging and there is a default judgment against me for the car but i never was notified nor was i served papers im debating getting a lawyer to see if i can have the judgment removed i know they will file again but maybe they will agree to let me pay it off before it goes back to court i also wonder if they would remove some of the negative stuff from my cr like the charge off they say is currently late and they are reporting it monthly also the judgment is not showing up on my cr the only reason im freaking out about all this is im trying to rebuld my credit so i can purchase a house within the next year any opionions would be greatly appreciated

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.