Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old collection, back on report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Old collection, back on report

Good Morning, 

Seeking advice from the Forum this am...

I had a prior collection that was once with Diversified Consultants, IC Systems, and then sold to ERC reporting to Equifax and TransUnion, however I disputed these debts as valid 10/2015 and they were removed from both agencies. The original creditor is T-Mobile for 1,109 (disputed as not valid-not owed once this account was closed). The DOFD 4/2012.  In April I received a Collection notice from Convergent (giving options for payment) and I sent a certified letter requesting validation of this debt. The letter was received and signed for. I have received no other written communication; however this morning woke up two alerts from Equifax and Experian showing a new collection (sure TransUnion is next):

Equifax

3287XXXX

Account Type

Collection

Terms

Date Opened

04/03/2016

Account Status

Closed

Payment Status

Late

Payment Status Details

Unpaid

Status Updated

05/21/2016

Balance

$1,095.00

Balance Updated

Credit Limit

Past Due Amount

High Balance

Monthly Payment

Balloon Payment

Contact Phone

(800) 444-8485

Contact Address

800 SW 39TH STREET, RENTON, WA 98057

Ownership

Individual Account

Original Creditor

T MOBILE USA

Company Sold-to

Original Amount

$1,095.00

Comments

null

Experian:

Account Number

3287XXXX

Account Type

Collection

Terms

1 Month

Date Opened

04/01/2016

Account Status

Closed

Payment Status

Late

Payment Status Details

Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department

Status Updated

05/01/2016

Balance

$1,095.00

Balance Updated

Credit Limit

Past Due Amount

$1,095.00

High Balance

Monthly Payment

Balloon Payment

Contact Phone

(800) 444-8485

Contact Address

800 SW 39TH ST, RENTON, WA 98057

Ownership

Individual

Original Creditor

T-MOBILE USA

Company Sold-to

Original Amount

$1,095.00

Comments

Experian

TransUnion

Equifax

Payment History

MAY

Hide details  

How should I proceed with this? Do I contact the Collection agency and request a PFD (although I still contend I do not owe the amount of this debt), dispute with the credit agencies again? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

As always, thank you MyFico Forum!

Major score drop.....

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Old collection, back on report

I guess the first question would be is the debt actually valid or are you aware you do owe something to them, that they would possibly have any factual info that you owe money?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good morning.. I closed this account in protest due to service/provider issues. I do owe, however I disputed directly with T-mobile to the amount- that was unsuccessful. So, for purposes for this debt, yes I owe. (😊)
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Good morning.. I closed this account in protest due to service/provider issues. I do owe, however I disputed directly with T-mobile to the amount- that was unsuccessful. So, for purposes for this debt, yes I owe. (😊)

I would contact the T-Mobile Executive Office, if you contend the debt itself is invalid due to their percieved failure to fulfill their end of the contract. They seem to be trying to "rehab" their reputation in the last year or so, and that may be to your advantage.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Norman ( by the way, always look forward to your keen and knowledgable advice)...
Should I approach this issues I n this manner:
1. Contact EO- explain service issues, give timeline
2. Request to have this debt taken back by them and offer some form of settled payment ( pay for delete!) and
3. Do I have any recourse with Convergent? I requested validation of debt and received no response, just a hit on credit report and I still have their offer letter- should I just take offer with pay for delete offer to them?
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you Norman ( by the way, always look forward to your keen and knowledgable advice)...
Should I approach this issues I n this manner:
1. Contact EO- explain service issues, give timeline
2. Request to have this debt taken back by them and offer some form of settled payment ( pay for delete!) and
3. Do I have any recourse with Convergent? I requested validation of debt and received no response, just a hit on credit report and I still have their offer letter- should I just take offer with pay for delete offer to them?

I would try a combination of the first two. Explain the service issues, but be willing to give some, if they are willing to pull it back from collections.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Norman! I believe that I have gained success with this account. I completed some searches on the Forum and gained information on how to approach this debt.  Hopefully, I will have a great and positive outcome. Again, thank you! 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.