Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old comcast Account

tag
ajs813
Established Member

Old comcast Account

Hello all,

I have recently started repairing my credit and pilled me report. I noticed 3 old collections account that are still with SOL. One happened to be Comast. I contacted them, and a nice lady (not a manager) informed me that if I paid my balance, Comast would remove it from the CA and it would be taken care of. I asked her if it would be deleted from my report, or just show "paid". She said it will be taken off, but said Comcast never issues letters, just taked the bill and reports. I need to clear all my collections for a loan, so I would need to settle this account one way or another. Should I just pay the OC and after payement dispute the credit agency? I am if I should call the Collection Agency and inform them I want a PFD or I will just pay the OC. Has anyone had any experience with this type of situation? Thanks! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Old comcast Account

@ajs813 wrote:

Hello all,

I have recently started repairing my credit and pilled me report. I noticed 3 old collections account that are still with SOL. One happened to be Comast. I contacted them, and a nice lady (not a manager) informed me that if I paid my balance, Comast would remove it from the CA and it would be taken care of. I asked her if it would be deleted from my report, or just show "paid". She said it will be taken off, but said Comcast never issues letters, just taked the bill and reports. I need to clear all my collections for a loan, so I would need to settle this account one way or another. Should I just pay the OC and after payement dispute the credit agency? I am if I should call the Collection Agency and inform them I want a PFD or I will just pay the OC. Has anyone had any experience with this type of situation? Thanks! Smiley Happy

Comcast would need to recall the account first, Make the payment to them. The CA at that point has no collection authority and will need to delete their trade line.

Message 2 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The cleanest approach is to obtain agreement from the party who reported the information to delete their own reporting.

Obtaining a PFD from the debt collector would directly adress theri reporting.

However, they may not agree to a PFD, and thus if the OC will still accept payment, you can pay them and hope that the debt collector deletes.

It is not a given that they must.  The FCRA contains no requirement that a debt collector must delete their prior reporting once their collection is terminated, eihter by payment of the debt or simply termination of their assigned authority by the OC.  All that is required under the FCRA is that they must update the amount under collection, and close their collection.

The rub is that the CRA reporting manual instructs debt collectors to delete if their authority is rescinded.  That is CRA policy, but is not a requirement of statute.

To complicate the matter, the CRA reporting manual also instructs that prior reporting should not be dleleted based on payment of a debt. 

Since payment of the debt automatically termiates collection authority without separate need for the OC to terminate their contract, it is uclear as to what the manual even sets as the reporting criteria.

If the debt collector declines to delte after payment is made to the OC, you may be in for a hassle, as what is or is not required or even recommended is murky.

Message 3 of 9
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

i really really hate to tell you this but i work for time warner and can absolutely positively promise you they will not delete it. The reason the woman said it in the manner she did is that they recieve a bonus based on sum of collections paid

Message 4 of 9
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

If Comcast will give a letter stating this will happen in exchange for payment in full I would do it.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 5 of 9
ajs813
Established Member

This makes me sad! She flat refused to put anything in writing and was so comfortable telling me it wasn't a big deal...Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 9
Rkalynsmith
Regular Contributor

Is comcast reporting it or a CA? Mines was from 2008 and i paid it and they removed it. I was also able to get new service with them. 

Starting Score: 565
Current Score: 721
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
ajs813
Established Member

It is with a credit agency now, but she said they will take the payment and take it back from the Collections Agency. The Original debt never showed up on my credit report, so I think it will be worth a shot to pay the debt. It is my debt ....

Message 8 of 9
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I would take them upon the offer it sounds like the account was assigned to the collection agency not sold to.  The difference is Comcast in this case owns the debt which means they can pull it from the collection agency.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.